Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Petrol: To add or not?

Chipale

Petrol: To add or not?

Post by Chipale »

OK, so I hopefully get my V8 250 on Monday and in readiness for that first (of many) visits to the petrol station I have a question. Weird, but I'm excited and nervous at the prospect of owning a long desired car
Looking at a previous discussion relating to fuel additives on this forum I think I am correct in saying that there isn't necesarilly a need to add a fuel additive each time you fill up at the pump? I'm pretty sure the current owner adds Redex (I have always added Castrol Valvemaster to my TR6) so I want to know whether I should continue to do this.
I wont be going near supermarket petrol, Shell or Esso only. Also, is it best to put their more expensive 'super unleaded' in than the ordinary unleaded?
I'm not a tech head so not fully au fait with all this stuff!
Thanks

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Petrol: To add or not?

Post by A.N.Other »

Don’t waste your money on super unleaded. The engine will happily run on normal unleaded, even supermarket petrol is more than good enough. It was designed to be used in America and other countries where octane levels could be as low as 88. As for the redex, it won’t do any harm but if the engine is serviced and tuned regularly then it should burn relatively cleanly. That said it is considered to be a dirty engine. I think I would rather spend my money on frequent oil and filter changes, every 3000 miles or so.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

Beware of ethanol in fuel. It’s not good for the rubber of older fuel lines or the carburettor diaphragms if you leave the car unused for any length of time. The premium stuff from Shell is I believe (or was a year or so ago) the only grade without it.

There was a thread that went in to this in great detail but I can’t seem to find it.

Kevin

Chipale

Post by Chipale »

Thank you both for these reassuring replies. Really appreciate this advice.
Jings, Sunday is going to be like Christmas eve for me!
Fergus

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

A timely thread.

I have just filled my V8-250 with Tesco Momentum 99 in readiness for the National DID; the reason I use this fuel is that it has a high octane and far cheaper than super unleaded sold at BP, Shell and Esso etc.

Currently £1.24 a litre which is probably prettry close to standard 95RON in parts of the UK.

Ironically, it is Esso that supply Tesco as they are in partnership.

As for additives, I pop a glug of Redex in all my classics from time to time and with the Daimler I do use Castrol Valvemater as the head is currently unconverted.

That said, classic car cylinder heads do hold extensive lead memory and the need for a lead replacement additive is not really necessary PROVIDED you are not thrashing the car at very high speed and / or using the full rev range - which will by its very nature accelerate the rate of valve recession in a leaded head.

The comment on regular oil changes is well founded and should be done often and certainly every year, even if the mileage accured over 12x months is not that much.

I read a tip in an old DM or on here, that it is worth pouring in an additional 1L of oil when the old oil has fully drained. This is to help flush / cleanse the residue of oil that sits in the camshaft gallery - sounds a good tip to me and one that I have taken onboard.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Yes, a good question as always about leaded/unleaded issues, I can also give a thumbs up for the tip about pouring in fresh oil till it comes out of the drain in the sump, as these V8's are classed as a "dirty" engine and produce quite a lot of soot/carbon internally which makes my oil turn from a golden colour to dark brown very quickly, I always use normal unleaded for last 17 years and no issues, my Lanchester 11 will have ethanol proof additive, just as a precaution. good question chaps. Tony

Chipale

Post by Chipale »

Thank you for the reassuring reply Richard
Fergus