Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Sonus / or others

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Sonus / or others

Post by daimlersteve »

Hi all , been a while since i have been on here,
Any updates on various mods going on ?
Thinking of installing the new longer duration cam in the old motor just for an experiment .
Have had all the different intake manifolds on the Flowbench so now have a datum to go on. 1 3/4 HIF Sus are good for 240 hp . Sidedrafts a little more but a whole lot more work.
The 60th gathering here in NZ went well. 1000miles and i lifted the bonnet a couple of weeks later to find both water and oil unchanged from prior to leaving. The event re-enforces my personal view that tq. is the master with these cars on the roads here , mainly twisty back roads using between 2500 and 4k in third and forth most of the time .
steve

Sonus

Re: Sonus / or others

Post by Sonus »

Hi, not been able to progress as planed due to work and life in general, but hoping to have the bottom end ready soon. Needed to persuade ARP that the head studs they make will suit my application. They did not want to sell to me or my engine shop before they knew the planed rev limit, torque and bhp figure. Hopefully they are on their way as I type. When the bottom end is ready we can trial fit the heads to make sure we order the correct thickness headgasket to achieve 11:1 static compression ratio. Not been able to pull the trigger on the camshaft either, although I have paid a large deposit to Penta Mototrsports 6months ago :|

The ATI Super damper just arrived. It is the larger 7” version made to fit the Ford Small Block V8s. The diameter of the SBF crank nose is the same as the Daimler V8 so it should slide on. Might need som very light reaming.

The lightened saloon flywheel arrived from the UK and is being drilled to accept a Rover V8 clutch from a TVR Tuscan racer.

Aluminium bellhousing from the US arrived and is at the engineering shop to have the holes drilled to fit the engine and the Borg Warner T5 gearbox.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

good one Sonus ,
yes i know what you mean regarding other things getting in the way.
Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

PS. , what is the story re getting the bellhousing from the states ?
Steve

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Steve,
Something of a step forward today for me with the payment for my new iron billet camshaft from Ivan Tighe Cams in Brisbane. Should take delivery of it next week. See pic attached and the spec sheet. To make sense of it look at the lift figures at 0.014" or 0.016". That represents the valve lash and the effective duration. The usually quoted duration at 0.050" is also there. Comes in at around 238 degrees. The original is an asthmatic 176 degrees. Valve lift will top out around .0430".

Now starting work on the modification to the tappet chest to make room for the mushroom tappets.

I am having some reservations about the Y-block Ford lifters. Having removed the Daimler lifter a weight comparison reveals the Daimler item at 34 gms and the Ford item at 61 gms. That to me is a substantial weight increase.

My thinking now is to machine the Ford item to accept the Daimler ball and reduce weight ( and use the original pushrods) or an alternative mushroom tappet that is hollow. I am more inclined to the latter as chilled iron the material the lifters are made from is machined by grinding due to its hardness. Making some inquiries about each of these options .

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

daimlersteve wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:06 pm PS. , what is the story re getting the bellhousing from the states ?
Steve
I currently run with a steel auto bellhousing which weigh a lot. I then read a thread on this forum about aluminium bellhousings cast in the 90s by Barry Thorne. He had none left, but a forum user in the US had one spare which he offered me and I jumped at the opportunity in an effort to lighten my TVR Vixen somewhat. The Daimler V8 has pushed the car from being 750-800kg with the stock Ford Kent engine to now weighing 950-980kg with the Daimler V8 and Jaguar E-type diff.

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Fred, keep us posted on the cam followers! Very interesting!

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Good one , i'll graph the profile and see how it compares to mine . cheers , steve.
Ps , whats the plan to rotate the followers ?

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Steve,
I'm a bit unclear about your question on rotating the tappets. Can you clarify?

I can say that the cam was ground specifically with the idea of running the rotating mushroom tappets. The lifters are normally ground with a slight radius to promote rotation.

Fred

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

g'day ,
With the std setup ( follower c/l in line with the c/line of the cam lobe ) a flat ( standard) or angled lobe also sits on the c/l and not have much influence on rotating the follower ( sitting on the high point ) as opposed to an offset follower /lobe which would rotate the follower . .. Has the billet cam lobe c/l been offset to promote rotation ? -- just my thoughts .
Steve.