Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wiring Run

Flinty

Wiring Run

Post by Flinty »

I have a very weak supply to my petrol; pump on my SP, it seems that I have a poor connection somewhere between the fuse box and the pump.
If I run a temporary cable from the fuse box to the pump everything is OK.
Can any one tell me where the cable runs to the rear of the car and if there are any connectors along the route.

Steve.

timmartin

Re: Wiring Run

Post by timmartin »

I don’t have the experience to know whether there was any or much variation between cars, but this is how the white wire from the fuse box to the fuel pump was routed in my (1964) car.

#White wire into the harness above the fuse box.

#In the harness along the top of the engine compartment on the right hand side.

#Down into the hidden depths through a hole in the grp just before most of the rest of the wires go horizontally through another hole into the space behind the dash. This is a branch in the harness and our white wire joins others setting off for the back of the car. There are a group of bullet connectors here for the red wire (side and tail lights), and left and right flashers. The white wire does not need a connector here, and my car does not have one.
Do not confuse this branch in the harness with the one slightly further forward which runs along the scuttle in front of the heater (there is another white wire in this).

#Down through the “hidden depths” (which are no longer hidden if you remove the trim panel to the right of the pedals (on a RHD car)) and on down into the sill just in front of the steel reinforcing member on b and c spec cars. When I say just in front, it seems like “just behind” when you are wriggling through the right hand door, under the steering wheel, and round the corner to the right.

#Along inside the sill until the rear wheel arch where it climbs over the arch behind the trim. The trim is the rather crude card at the highest level between the hood mounting on the B post and the back of the passenger compartment. If you are sitting in the rhs back seat with your right elbow on the arm rest, then it is beside your elbow.

#Through a gap in the grp into the boot, emerging in a sort of hidden cubby hole at the top, right far side of the boot as you look in. It is accessible by removing the big panel at the front (or back, as you look in) of the boot.

#Through a bullet connector in this “cubby hole”. There are many other connectors here, where the harness going to the rhs rear lights part company with the harness running accross the boot above the petrol tank to the fuel gauge, fuel pump and lhs rear lights.

On my car the only connector on the white wire from the fuse box to the fuel pump is in the boot “cubby hole”.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
Tim
Blue 1964 SP250 in Berkshire

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Many thanks Tim, I am starting to hunt.

Steve.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Tim. What an superb explanation, could not think how to write it up but could not have done it anything like as good, can't think of anything you missed, brilliant. Syd

Zbigmak

Post by Zbigmak »

Tim excellent description. If you could add some photos it would be superb.
George

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Bingo. Tim you were absolutely right it was a poor bullet connection in the rear cubby hole.

Many many thanks.

Steve. :D

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Good to hear Steve. I have some pictures which you don’t seem to need but am still looking for guidance on how to attach them ... yes, I know, it has been posted over and over again, but I haven’t spotted where yet.
Tim

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

timmartin wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:23 pm Good to hear Steve. I have some pictures which you don’t seem to need but am still looking for guidance on how to attach them ... yes, I know, it has been posted over and over again, but I haven’t spotted where yet.
Here: http://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=117

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Pictures courtesy of John’s help. Not to Vortex o Plinth’s standard. Sorry - pictures taken while other work in progress. (They do seem to be the right way up if you click on them)
56E52B9C-6701-4438-B00B-2DD7D66B13F4.jpeg
Up from where the fuse box should be...along the top...and down through the hole
C20F2DCA-2F7A-4921-9897-E8D8F109AFD6.jpeg
Down from the hole and into the sill (sorry, no pedals)
91C6850A-A743-4417-ABD8-D2E0CF9BA645.jpeg
Up from the sill
B9E20B7C-FD4D-44E0-BF5F-76ABDF1403D5.jpeg
And over the rear wheel arch
Tim

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

5F4F82AD-74D8-4B85-A4FF-438C2E738B04.jpeg
Through the gap in the grp and into the boot
790BBF8D-56C4-4F9D-9553-BBB13531FFC2.jpeg