Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Steering column noise

Akiri

Steering column noise

Post by Akiri »

My 1968 V8 250 is fitted with power steering and performs well,as it should.
However every 3-500 miles a’rubbing’ noise comes up from the steering column especially when turning on the lock. The plastic type top bush, from where the noise appears to emanate, has now been replaced three times but each time the noise returns.
Of course the bushes may be faulty but they come from a recognised source.
A sintered bronze replacement has been suggested but that seems a bit extreme.
Any ideas as to cause and remedy?
Thanks.

Superfly

Re: Steering column noise

Post by Superfly »

I had the same problem last year,but my column would get a tight spot too.
I had replaced both upper and lower bushes,they were a very tight fit and would eventually groan and tighten up after a few miles despite copious amounts of oil on assembly.
WD-40 and normal oil did not seem to last long,so I tried a different approach.

I removed the column again,stripped it back to just the inner and outer column, popped it into my vice and lubricated the bushes with an oil containing a PTFE additive.

I then put the end of the inner column into the chuck of my cordless drill and spun it up,albeit very slowly,just for a minute or so,as you do not want to overheat the plastic bushes ,whilst simultaneously applying the PTFE based oil to the top and bottom bushes,
The result is a silent,very smooth steering column,with no slack or play now
It's almost like the bushes need "running in", which would take some time with normal use.

Stu
1968 Daimler 250-V8 Saloon

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Steering column noise

Post by Petelang »

I have just, finally, resolved this problem on a DS420 which has a very similar column.
It was nothing to do with the bushes, but a simple case of incorrect assembly of the lower yoke to the splined shaft. There is a machined recess in the very bottom of the column for the pinch bolt that clamps the yoke joint to the shaft. This had been ignored and the column pressed down further into the yoke joint. When withdrawn a bit so the pinch bolt could sit correctly in the groove, tension was released and it's now totally smooth and silent in operation.
It took a year to resolve this, including having the steering box off and on at a garage.
Sometimes it's just simple stuff...
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.