Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Bad grind !?!

JSabah

Bad grind !?!

Post by JSabah »

I have yet to drive my car more than about 15 miles due to a poorly done carb rebuild (now sorted) and several large puddles of oil on the garage floor. Found that the rocker supports were installed with an intermediate and end pieces swapped so no oil delivery. After that was corrected, the valves needed to be adjusted but it wasn't possible on several...so off came the cover and found a trashed CAM (which was a new ground) and damaged guides and cover....
CAM shaft -see middle lobe

Close up of lobe

Back of lobes group undo flush with shaft

One of several damaged

The 2 lifters midway wouldn't even slide by hand

The damage they caused

Checking with my "local" supplier (John Carey) but just in case....anybody know of an extra CAM laying around?
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

kent sutton

Re: Bad grind !?!

Post by kent sutton »

Dear Josh
What a blow!!!!
My sympathies are with you.
Have you given any thought that the engine should be totally dismantled and thoroughly cleaned out to rid of any particles that may be spread in the engine?
Yours
Kent

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

For our engines that are generally pretty reliable - that's a major engineering fail. Hoping you manage to find another camshaft without too much difficulty.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

Josh,
How disappointing. I do have a tool I made to remove and install the lifter bushings if you find replacements. (I am down the road in Pasadena).
Sold my spare engine last year
If you find the parts I will be happy to help you rebuild the top end, I built my 250 v8 a few years back from the bare block.
Was hoping to see you and the Daimler next month at Queens English car show.
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

russcarpenter

Post by russcarpenter »

If you get stuck I have around 25 cams, I don't normally sell them but if you're in the manure I will help

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Yep , a cluster f -- before it was installed. grind was far too small at the base circle, caused the followers to leave the alloy flat , turn and return to remove alloy at each revolution. It shows in the pics. the grind would have gone through the hardening at that degree of reprofileing so was doomed anyway..
There's no budget way to change the profile to that degree. ( Needs to be a billet core or welded to give extra lift.)

take care with the replacement cam, they are getting thin on the ground down this way.

steve

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

Dan, nice to know you are close by, but I'm not going to try and tackle this on my own ... Just look at what a so called expert did.... Still hoping (or rather dreaming ) of making the Queens English with the SP250 at the end of next month.

Russ, sent you a PM and thanks for the offer

Steve, I just got a crash course in cams and you and I are on the same page. Have a reground and hardened Cam on the way with a new cover - milled to work with a partially ground cam. The cam I ordered I am told has an excellent gear, has been ground to about 1/2 way between new and what I had with a close to (if not) standard profile, and has been "tuff tride" hardened which I am told is similar to nitride hardening. Also getting new lifters, dowel alignment shims (as the builder used something that didn't even touch the surfaces of the surrounding area, a new head gasket set and a few other items to correct the Micky Mouse job done (no offense to Micky Mouse). When the heads come off, we'll have a look at the valves and check the seating ... Who knows what I'll find.
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

How did you go with the replacement cam ?

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

Found one. It is being shipped and I hope to have it by Tuesday or Wednesday . I was told that it was a reground, but has an excellent gear, is not ground much, and has been re-hardened with tuff-trite. When I get it and it is inspected I will post. Also, new lifters, a new cover, alignment shims, proper alignment shims for the dowels as well as proper rocker lock nuts and tabbed washers on the way.

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

New cam received. Much better profile and very good gear. Went to put it in and found that the bearings were too small. It seems that the poorly ground cam had also had the journals ground and then line bored to the necessary size. Instead of removing the entire engine and re line boring I took the new and old cams to a crankshaft grinder and had them matched. Didn't know that a cam grinder couldn't grind the journals (I had asked 3) and that the crank grinders have larger, more accurate machines that measure as they remove and have a center support.... 50+ years and still learning something new every day... Just wish this lesson wasn't so costly. In any case, cam is in, oil is being fed properly, no more leaking valve and all valves adjusted properly and all cylinders at 145-150 psi... Just need get all the odds and ends put back together and maybe I'll get to drive it this summer