Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 saloon headlining replacement

KV8

V8 saloon headlining replacement

Post by KV8 »

The headlining in my car is faded, grubby and a bit tatty. I am considering replacing the headlining as a next winter project.

Visual and probing indicates that the main headlining is mounted on a removable backing card. Is this correct? Are there any "snags" i should look out for in the process.

Also any hints and experiences in this context would be very welcome,

Many thanks

H

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: V8 saloon headlining replacement

Post by Sydsmith »

Howard. I have the same problem so will be interested in the replies you receive.

Just to say I fitted a new headlining to a 1937 Austin some years ago, I bought the material from Woolies and the job went reasonably easily, but it was made possible and easier because my wife is an expert with a sewing machine, without her it would have been a different matter, but it can be done.

Hope some one can help shortly. Syd

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi. I did mine about 15 years ago, using a foam sheet supplied by woollies, either high density foam white colour or heavier solid foam sheet but that is heavier, or something like millboard but that is quite heavy as well, I went with the higher density foam version, I used vinyl roof type glue to secure the foam pad on the underside of the roof, but have lots of ventilation and wear a mask, or you can cut the pad to size outside and using spray adhesive (4 cans approx) for the headlining material and stick that on the foam pad first and then transfer the pad to the car, I went with the harder way as I was scared of getting the vinyl roof glue onto the headlining material, so I got the foam pad on first and left it a day or two to dry, avoid gluing in hot conditions, then use the spray adhesive and put the material on using pins or tacks to hold it in the corners and line it up first and then start gluing and put loads on, I went overkill on the number of cans and I started the gluing at the rear and moved to the front as I went, but I don't think it matters just take your time and I wore a woollen glove to press the headling up bit by bit but I also used a foam roller as well, my headlining it still up there and no sags or dropping. just take it easy. this is the way I did mine but other folks may have another method. can't remember were the pics are I had of doing the job. all the best Tony

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

In a moment of inspiration, I looked up Jaguar MK11 on google and found this, seems to match mine Howard, very different to a 30's Austin. Hope it helps. http://www.jag-lovers.org/saloons/carson/

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Yep that Jag mk2 guide is very good and I used it when doing the headlining on my dad's mk2, I can't remember where my V8 interior resto pics are now damn! tony

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

I have just replaced mine two days ago,.
The old lining was grubby but well bonded with only one small area needing bonding back to the roof.
I cut a cross in this section and using a High temp. contact adhesive repaired the problem area. ( use only high temp. adhesive as the roof can get very hot on a sunny day)
I used a wool headlining supplied by Martrim.
I removed the seats and masked the car inside. then sprayed the old headlining with adhesive, sprayed the new headlining outside the car.
You will need two of you to hold and stretch the new lining into place with the help of a clean wallpaper smoothing brush, you need to stretch it to avoid creases.
It takes a bit of planning mine now looks great, smooth and clean.
Just the edge section to do next.
Chris

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Hi All many thanks for replies.
Apologies for delayed response but been involved in extended family visit weekend.

Unfortunately my headlining bears no resemblance to the Jaguar one linked to above. My car is a V8 not a V8-250 which I am aware has significant differences in Trim and may resemble the Jaguar.

The central headlining is one section and does not have the cross sectioning of the Jag. As I say this section appears to be attached to a board or some sort of other rigid base which in part appears to be attached to the roof but in some areas can be pushed up into contact with the roof.

I attach 2 photos that show the headlining and trim towards the rear window and a close up in the region of the rear view mirror mounting.

Any Comments on replacing this type of headlining and headlined trim gratefully received

H
Attachments
Headlining 2.jpg
Headlining 1.jpg

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, look at my earlier post and it deals with the Daimler V8 version as I did this job 15 years ago. mine is still up ok after that time so I must have done it sort of right. it's not the nicest job in the world but satisfying after it's done. The Daimler version early or late is the same as far as I know, just the jaguar version that differs. I also did my dad's mk2 jag and that was easier than the Daimler type headlining, this my Daimler headlining image, best of luck tony
Attachments
Daimler V8 headlining
Daimler V8 headlining

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Hi Tony

Many thanks and apologies. I had mis-read your first and second posts to imply that your Daimler was similar to the Jaguar in the link.

Can you possibly explain what remains after the "roll" beading is removed. My thoughts were to glue an over sized rough shaped new headlining over the existing in situ and then trim with a stanley type knife. Any rough edges being hidden on re-installation of the roll beading. Do you remember how you got on with re-furbing the roll beading?

Thanks again

Howard

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, you mean the sausage looking trim pieces? you push these trims onto the lower metal backs trim near the furflex around the door area. using trim clips and push on to fix. trying to find the rest of my pics from the resto, but have just found these, it is tricky to stop getting creases around the rear window area, front area much easier tho. but I took a few days to get it perfect, leave the edge of the material loose around the rear window as when or if you fit the rear screen it tries to tear it a bit, if not than just tuck the material inside the rear screen seal edge, also these smaller trim pieces take more time than you think, on one if the images is the foam backing layer in white which nice and light and I had used brass screws to fix and then tucked the material underneath it and it was clamped in well. sometimes no need to use loads of glue, and then only on the edges. you could remove the roll trim material and see what the foam is like or you could get something from woollies which will do, but don't be too fussy as if it looks right than that will do. see if I can find any more pics. all the best Tony
Attachments
V8 daimler interior_20190718_0001 crop.jpg