Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wiper motor cleaning and overhaul

Alpine Daimler

Wiper motor cleaning and overhaul

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Hello there,

Any thoughts out there as to the best method and material to use when cleaning the wiper motor armature and field coil?

I have read recently that solvents are to be avoided as they can dissolve the lacquer or insulation used in the windings back in the 60's, is that right?

I think I may have been able to rescue and renovate the whole mechanical system, even the wiper gear boxes are reusable although drivers side was a b****r to get back in, it is not necessary to remove dash side panels and more as advised in manual

The fuse kept blowing as drive rack was well and truly stuck in tubes with dried up grease from Jan 1967, just trying to get the motor back up to muster. The commutator seems ok, just needs cleaning, gentle "resurfacing" with fine emery cloth whilst rotating in pillar drill and segments carefully re-undercut....I hope, unless you know or can advise otherwise!

The thermal protection device mentioned in the manual circuit diagram has been "modified out" in my motor it seems, it is nowhere to be seen, have read in later books about classic car small part repair and overhaul that this was usual and performed by dealers as official mod due to over sensitivity and causing too many failures.

Thanks as always for any ideas.

Regards
Rob c.

buckfield

Re: Wiper motor cleaning and overhaul

Post by buckfield »

Hi Rob, my wiper motors were underpowered as with your issue with the grease that had gone hard, I found that the series 1 XJ motor much better and no need to change the wiper linkage, had to make up a bracket and swap over the drive wheel from the XJ to the V8 and have a fiddle with the wiring but had this on both my V8 and Mk2 jag and still working ok last 15 years, I think the uprated mk2 kit is based on a XJ type wiper motor, but is quite expensive?. here is my XJ motor on both my V8 and Jag mk2. hope this helps as I gave up with the original wiper motors. Tony
Attachments
IMG_0841 (Medium).jpeg
IMG_1089 (Custom).JPG

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Thank you Tony

What a good idea, which drive wheel did you have to change? not those in the wheel boxes?
When you have the time and enthusiasm I for one would be interested to see a little more re mounting bracket and how the XJ motor connects to the old rack.
As if that is not enough I would also like to learn a little more about the wiring challenges, not my strong point.

I shall see how my overhaul performs and may well take up your idea, it will be interesting to see if the XJ motors are available and if they also command a kings ransom from suppliers like the upgrade kits.

On another point, I have not been able to source a LH drive motor but have found this on the web, it shows how to rewire a RH drive model to get the park position right, might help someone over here on the continent sometime. : https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et219d.htm

Regards
Rob

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, just change the main drive wheel as the XJ series wheel is 105 degrees and the mk2 jag one is I think 95 ?, can't remember as so long ago now, I had to mess with the xj park inards and just use the main wires to wire into the wiper switch and then put in a ceramic 15v adjustable switch to stop the motor speeding up when the revs change, I found that simpler than wiring into the existing motor, you have to adjust the sweep and reset your arms but that is the easy bit? but both speeds on the switch work ok. the wheel change is a straight swap and everything should line up ok no need to change the linkage just the wheel, the suppliers do whack on a bit of money? all the best Tony