Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Valve /rocker cover gaskets

JSabah

Valve /rocker cover gaskets

Post by JSabah »

My valve covers are seeping quite badly and I read on earlier posts that there was a US company that was making them in silicone (for the SP250) but believe that they went out of business way back in 2011. What is available now or what are people using currently? Thanks, Josh
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Valve /rocker cover gaskets

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi Josh.

All you need for a perfect solution is a length of "o" ring material 1.5-2 mm in diameter or there about and a tube of super glue. You need two yards for both covers.

Clean the groove with thinners or something similar. Starting at what will be the top centre of the cover glue one end of the o ring material to the groove and every 4-6 inches glue it in place in the groove, all the way round until you reach the join, cut off the material and glue the end down. Repeat for second cover.

If your covers do not have a groove, the above will work but it is very difficult to get the material to stay in place, preferably get a machine shop to mill a groove round for you.

This really does work and you can remove and replace the cover many times without a leak developing.

Whilst you have the covers off, to solve the problem of oil in the spark plug tubes which is another pain, take each tube out of the block, clean the thread with thinners and smear a small amount of bath room silicone sealant onto the threads before screwing them back into the block, works a treat.

JimL

Re: Valve /rocker cover gaskets

Post by JimL »

Josh /Syd. I have also slightly leaky rocker cover gaskets. I really like the 'O' ring idea and have now ordered-on from 'fleabay' the 2mm 'O' ring cord. I have a spare pair of rocker covers that I'm currently bulling-up and luckily they do have the shallow recesses that I should be able to glue the 'O' ring material to. As usual much good stuff to be gleaned from the forum! Jim L