Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Toyota W58 transmission

Ozzsp250

Toyota W58 transmission

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Anyone that has installed a Toyota W58 5 speed transmission in their SP250 have information or sources for a new driveshaft needed to complete conversion?

Thanks.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Toyota W58 transmission

Post by daimlersteve »

g'day,
its no problem to do, recommend a new yoke (aftermarket ) . back past that depends on the back end for the rear universal . If staying with the std SP d/shaft size there may be a need to reduce the front universal boss to that diam. Take care if going to a much larger dia as it gets close to the tunnel at the rear especially if you've got seat belt mount re-enforcing plates down there. Mine has a falcon back end so would be a different length and rear universal to yours.
cheers . Local cost for a complete new unit is around a grand .
Steve

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Thanks for that Steve,

My thought process was new Toyota transmission output coupling - sliding spline and new universal joint and on rear stay with original size but new sealed bearing universal joint. I know I can get an aluminum or steel fabricated not sure any advantage or real weight saving involved.

I'll be in Auckland early Feb New Year and would sure like the opportunity to see your car / workshop if that could be arranged.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Yep , catchup no problem .
Stay with the steel . The alloy will always be bigger ( clearance at rear of tunnel situation )
Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Just as an aside ---- were you away that the timing chain for the SP is readily available as a Rollmaster in aust. Common to just about all big block US V8s . High quality German IWIS pre-stretched chain . Just installed one when i changed the cam. about to install the same cam profile in the 2.8 MTR and Dial in @ 104.5 as in the recent change --- Seems to work .

Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Oops -- should read ' aware "

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

daimlersteve wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:27 am Oops -- should read ' aware "
[You can edit your own posts, you know! Use the pencil icon top right of your post. - John-B]

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Steve,
Thanks for that info on the timing chains. I now have the 'new' engine in the car and the car's original engine on my test stand. The original engine has the left head gasket failed / corroded I believe but have two overhauled heads with new valves, springs and guides assembled on the shelf. I plan to complete the car before working on the original engine but with the temperature 36 C and above in my garage progress will be slow.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

ouch, anything above 26 is uncomfortable .
cheers

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Steve,

Picked up my new steel driveshaft today and installed it in the car..........cost was only $265. All new made with 1310 series universal joints the rear one being hi-angle. Only change is the bolts need to be 3/8" longer due to thickness of rear universal flange.

Unfortunately have misplaced a piece of the accelerator linkage with inspect my storage and dis-assembly bins in the morning. I'll have a few days away from the garage as have visitors from Oz and NZ for the next week, which my be a blessing as temps are schedule to drop below 38C next week.