Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

2.5 V8 Saloon Spark Plug Tubes

PatrickDixon

2.5 V8 Saloon Spark Plug Tubes

Post by PatrickDixon »

I am trying to change the cooper washers under the spark plug tubes to stop the oil leaks into the tube.

The tubes are all very tight.

Does anyone have a spare oil filler tube nut that I can borrow/buy/hire to use? I have tried to use the cover hold down 'nut' and got one out, but that's now jammed on the tube with the nut, so I don't think that's the ultimate solution.

Also, ISTR someone on the other forum recommending some sealant/liquid gasket to add to the washers. Could someone remind me what that was as the old forum is now dead and gone where google can't find it.

Thanks!
Last edited by PatrickDixon on Sun May 01, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 2.5 V8 Saloon

Post by Norfolk Lad »

http://archive.dloc.co.uk/forum/default.asp this just worked for me Patrick

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

Thanks!

From this thread

"[the nut] is part No: C.21667 and this is not in Manners' or SNG Barrat's listings.
It seems to be 1 3/8" dia and 20tpi"

"Use blue hylomar only to seal the threads"

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

Has anyone ever managed to successfully change these? 'Cos I'm having great difficulty. I got one out with the oil filler tube nut and the collar, but having got it out the nut and collar are jammed together so tight I can't get them off the tube. And if I screw the tube back in, it gets a little way in before the nut and collar come loose so that I can unscrew them, but then the tube is jammed half-in half-out.

What's the secret?

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I think that the secret is only known to Russ Carpenter. When he does a cylinder head, it comes back with the tubes removed, refinished and refitted with new copper washers. He must have a substantial custom made tool for the purpose. but oil in the tubes is of little consequence. If you don't like it, remove the plugs and let it drain into the cylinders, and if you don't want to do that soak it up with paper towels. It takes a while to develop a significant volume, but I've never known it to cause problems with the running of the engine and I wouldn't risk damaging the tubes to reseal them myself.

Regards

Geoff

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

I've always used the rocker cover nuts to remove them, screw one on upside down, then screw the other on the correct way, using gas pliers suitably covered to avoid damaging the nuts, or a purpose made spanner, tighten the 2 together hard, to remove, only undo from the lower nut, to insert use only the top nut. to remove the nuts, hold the top nut and turn the lower nut as if to tighten the cover.
Note, do not run the lower nut to the end of the thread, a. you will damage the nut thread, b. the tube will not be tight as it will slightly slacken as you undo the top nut.
Remove the copper washers, hang them on a steel wire, heat to red heat with a blow lamp and drop in a tin of cold water whilst still red, providing this hasn't been done before the washers will be thick enough to re-use and will seal well.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

Well thanks for the help but I'm completely stuck. I have one tube out, but I can't get the nut and rocker cover 'nut' apart, and I can't get the tube back in because it's really tight. I get about 1/4 screwed in and then the thread locks, and I'm reluctant to put more pressure on for fear of striping something. I have tried cleaning and lubricating the thread but without success.

I think my engine must be different to yours Ian, because there is no way that two of the rocket cover 'nuts' will go on the thread even with the bottom one upside down. The thread is just too short.

I have new copper washers so no need to heat the old ones.

Anyone got any ideas?

dovr

Post by dovr »

Find a tight fitting Rawl bolt, insert and tighten (not too tight) then use a large pipe wrench, the Rawlbolt stops any distortion !

You could use a bit of tape on the outside of the tubes to avoid any scratches from the wrench

worked for me.

Cheers

Dov

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: 2.5 V8 Saloon Spark Plug Tubes

Post by Sydsmith »

Rawlbolt works a treat, I wrapped insulating tape round the tubes to stop the damage from the pipe wrench. My tubes have long threads on the top and short threads on the bottom perhaps they were put in up side down when last reinserted?

trymes

Re: 2.5 V8 Saloon Spark Plug Tubes

Post by trymes »

Glad I saw this, as I was thinking of doing this myself, and it reminded me that I always have issues with distorted threads when I try to use a "double-nut" setup to remove anything. I'm off to Google to figure out what a Rawl-bolt is!

Tom