Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Clutch Slave Cylinder

wally999999

Re: SP250 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Post by wally999999 »

I bought my SP when I was an engineering student in the late 70s. The car had been left in the open, with no roof on, for years and the rear axle was missing. I got it going using the university workshops and my earnings as a student apprentice to fund parts. Used to see a lot of David Beales, given that the university was in Yorkshire. The local Jaguar dealers still had a few SP parts in stock at that time too.

I've always done all my own maintenance and have posted a few related videos on YouTube in recent years (iincl. Front suspension rebuild, spark plug tube seals, LED indicators):- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTFMeE ... subscriber

Been a lot of fun over the years and still is :)

Post by #100910 »

Andrew, Thank you for your time and effort with the videos and for revealing the SP2487 part number.
I have since fitted my SP2036's one inch seal to the original slave and it is the correct size after all.
I had fooled myself into thinking that the old, worn seal with a different 6467xxxx number was a smaller size, so I do apologize for adding to the confusion. The two 1" seals differ in the construction of the inner shoulder where it seats on the piston shaft.
Research supports the Dart having always been fitted with a 1" cylinder and that either an SP2036 or an SP2487 will work.
Most likely conclusion is that your SP2487 kit contains an incorrect seal.
SP Clutch Hyd 3.PNG
SP Clutch Hyd 4.PNG
My 1970's were spent selling parts at Austin's British Leyland dealership and mechanics would frequently browse through Girling kits looking for any seal that would fit.

===================================================================

Changing course a bit, I was confused by a 'restrictor' being listed among clutch hydraulics, however, it is the one for the braking system.
SP Clutch Hyd 5.PNG
SP Clutch Hyd 5.PNG (11.09 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Restrictor_Girling-3011060.png
Restrictor_Girling-3011060.png (117.12 KiB) Viewed 856 times

wally999999

Post by wally999999 »

Thanks for resolving this. Good to know too, that my 1" cylinder is probably as originally fitted.

I have a restrictor in my brake line. I believe that it's designed to only allow a fixed volume of fluid to return to the reservoir when the brakes are released. This being to overcome the problem with early disc brakes, whereby movement / flexing of the wheel bearings etc. during vigorous driving, could push the caliper pistons back too far. At best this could lead to inconsistent brake pedal travel &, at worst, having to pump the brake pedal before anything happens! As you say, odd that this should be listed with the clutch parts (?)

Andrew

Post by #100910 »

On a closing note:

An SP2487 kit was located amidst my garage's clutter that contained a seal with the same 64676889 part number as the one peeled from my original cylinder.

These folks have a full page that is helpful with Girling brake & clutch rubber identifications:

https://www.northwestclassic.co.uk/
SP Clutch Hyd 6.PNG