Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Leather seat and headlining repair & replace

Chipale

Leather seat and headlining repair & replace

Post by Chipale »

Some advice please.
The front seats on my V8 250 are in need of repair. The cushioning is disintegrating and there are cracks and a tear on the drivers seat. However, while the padding will be replaced with new I want the leather repaired and made good rather than go for brand new.
The headlining is not great and on that I want to replace with new (goodness knows what's living up there!).
Any recommendations on where to get this done please? I am in Berwickshire so Scottish Borders, Edinburgh, central Scotland, Northumberland all 'easy' drive for me. I want somewhere experienced in this type of work (on old cars), who can give advice on options etc and, of course, does quality work.
I've contacted a couple of places in Edinburgh but I've given up on them ever replying to me emails.
Thanks for any suggestions. Fergus

Warsash 2

Re: Leather seat and headlining repair & replace

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I had my skates done By a firm called the Furniture Clinic which I saw at the classic car show at the NEC a couple of years ago. They are a franchised operation but I used the Birmingham on. I know there is one in Newcastle upon Tyne. The seat swabs where split but I wanted just repairs and tried to keep as much as possible of the original.
These are some photos
Regards
Colin
Attachments
Driver's side back .jpg
Driver's side seat.jpg

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Sorry Before photos
Attachments
IMG_0003r.jpg
IMG_0001r.jpg

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

I have just had my SP250 recarpeted as I have had to change the transmission tunnel to accomodate a T5 5 speed gearbox. For your seats and headlining you might like to try Paul James. I haven't mastered inserting a link but if you google " car trimmers lenzie" you should find him.

Chipale

Post by Chipale »

Thank you both for two very good suggestions for me to follow up which I will do
Fergus

Stevesv8250

Post by Stevesv8250 »

Warsash 2 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 am Hi
I had my skates done By a firm called the Furniture Clinic which I saw at the classic car show at the NEC a couple of years ago. They are a franchised operation but I used the Birmingham on. I know there is one in Newcastle upon Tyne. The seat swabs where split but I wanted just repairs and tried to keep as much as possible of the original.
These are some photos
Regards
Colin
Hi warsash,
I need my fronts seats done the same as yours, did they give you a price beforehand or was it a nice surprise when you got the bill.
Steve.

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi Steve
The memory is not what it was but I think they gave me an estimate which was not far out. Obviously it well depend on what they have to do and what's lurking underneath. Try giving them a ring I found them very useful and accommodating. If you do like their terms and conditions then walk away. As I said they are a franchise operation so I can only comment on the Birmingham operation but I was more than happy with thel job.
Their address is
Furniture Clinic Unit 23, Bloomfield industrial estate
Bloomfield Road
Tipton
DY4 9AH
I can say how much it costs as I had some leather furniture done at the s
Coliname time

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Sorry
Should have said if you do not like their T&C then walk away

Stevesv8250

Post by Stevesv8250 »

Hi,
Thanks for reply,
I'm having a go at renovating my seats myself, I have nearly finished the rears which were not that bad really and actually look better, the front seats have more damage so wIll see how it goes before deciding my next move, I have thought about buying a set of later xj6 front seats anyone done this?
Steve.

Dartford Dave

Post by Dartford Dave »

I did my seats and door cards using Furniture Clinics repair kit. They have a number of videos on YouTube explaining what to do. Also comes with full instructions. They can supply exact colour you require as well. I didn't find it to difficulty and found it very satisfying. Couple of pictures attached. I did change the finish to more of a matt finish after I took these pictures. This was done 6 years ago and still look as good today. I also had a couple of splits and a tear to repair and one area that was very badly scuffed but the kit comes with everything you need and clear instructions. I would also add that they looked better after a couple of weeks of using them so they don't look brand new. Also the matt finish was better.*
Attachments
IMAG1450.jpg
IMAG1435.jpg