Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Crown Wheel & Pinion

Warsash 2

Crown Wheel & Pinion

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
Had the car checked out today and there appears to be quite a lot of play from the drive shaft into the crown wheel & pinion. How much play should there be? If as I suspect it is wear then how big a job is it to change the crown wheel & pinion. My understanding is that you require special tooling. Any advise would be useful.
Thanks

Colin

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Crown Wheel & Pinion

Post by Ian Slade »

Though the manual says you do, you probably won't, the only special tool you need is the spreader to remove the crown wheel and planet wheels as a unit, I suspect as I found the axle casing has already spread due to many years use.
If the axle is quiet and the tubes are rigid in place leave it, it is quite an involved procedure to fit a new C & P and set it up involving preloading the pinion with various shims to get the correct position of the teeth with respect to the crown wheel teeth.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

A few points. If you are simply rotating the tail shaft with the wheels on the ground or otherwise fixed to prevent them from rotating then not only are you witnessing the free play between the crownwheel and pinion but also the free play between the spider gears and side gears and also the play between the side gears and the splines. This can add up and give the impression that the play is excessive when it may not.

The only accurate way to measure is to put a dial indicator on the crownwheel , hold the pinion shaft firm and rotate the crownwheel to measure the play.

As to the removal of the crownwheel from the housing in my experience with this style of differential is that the housings do not stretch but the side bearings wear. The wear reduces the pre-load on those bearings such that the crownwheel will slide out without much resistance and without the aid of a spreader.
Last edited by fredeuce on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi, If the axle is quiet in operation with no obvious clonks on take up, do nothing.
Slight increased backlash is not detrimental.
If you do have a clonk on take up then examination will be necessary.
I have rebuilt a couple of axles and you do not need any special tools.
Just follow the manual it is quite explicit.

Dave.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Just had my axle rebuilt after 270,000 miles. There were various clonks etc and I felt it warranted a rebuild before any damage was done. The crown wheel and pinion were fine but the central cluster of diff gears and pinion were all replaced. This work was all completed by Kings Norton Garage who now look after the SP following Ray Jensen's retirement after 25 years sterling service.

The SP has been to Scotland twice since and I am especially pleased that the play in the axle U joints has now been sorted as it was previously causing some very disagreeable steering characteristics!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
Thanks for these replies.I should have said it is my V8 250 saloon I was asking about. From what as been said I think I will leave it at the moment and see how it is after a 1000 mile trip to Scotland in mid October.
Thank you all for your comments
Regards

Colin