Forum registration by users has been re-enabled with harder registration questions. Guests should use the Register button top right but if you have difficulty answering one of the spambot countermeasure questions, Email mail @ chalkevalley.info (delete spaces).
If you would like to join the DLOC, please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/
Please don't post someone's email address. Some people don't want to risk it being harvested by spambots and GDPR regulations discourage it.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" which gives all posts in date & time order if you can't find a post or "Your Posts", as topics are sometimes moved.
Reg. nrs. Please add reg. nr. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.

Door closer locator thread

daimlersteve

Door closer locator thread

Post by daimlersteve » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:03 am

Men , whats the thread on these ? Now have the female and need to make the plugs for them . Damned fine thread there.
Steve

Feathers

Re: Door closer locator thread

Post by Feathers » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Hello Steve
3/16 - 32
John

Vortex O'Plinth

Post by Vortex O'Plinth » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:54 pm

I'd assumed you were referring to the thread joining these two parts....
snubber.jpg
I don't know the size or the threadform but I'd hazard a guess at a Whitworth instrument thread or possibly UNEF, although it seems finer than that.
Nick

"Open the pod bay door Hal".

daimlersteve

Post by daimlersteve » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Thats the one Nick.
Looks like 30 tpi with the Thread gauge internally. Will dismantle a full one to check out the male --- its easier to get a better look.-- nothing i can find that fine --even on the Machinist forums .
Steve

daimlersteve

Post by daimlersteve » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Ahh, just clicked on your link Nick , believe it or not -- i've never heard of whit fine . looks like the one !!! Cheers

daimlersteve

Post by daimlersteve » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:09 am

Just had one apart , its 28tpi 3/4"

Ian Slade

Post by Ian Slade » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:59 am

It won't be Whitworth, that's a coarse thread, it can be BSF or BSP in Imperial or it's a UNF in Unified, BSP do have some weird tpi to diameter. Highly unlikely to be metric, I still think it origin is not the auto industry more industrial kitchen origin, i.e large fridge, freezer or oven doors.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve

Post by daimlersteve » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:25 am

Ian , to my surprise there is a BSW Fine ( never seen it myself , but then i dont move in exotic circles ) It is likely as you say to had another org. application. Probable pre war --- possibly timber Coach building. Brass is 26tpi , whit fine is 30 tpi and this particular thread is 28 tpi.
Steve

Ian Slade

Post by Ian Slade » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks Steve, you live and learn every day :D I did come across these units way back in the 70's but can't remember where but certainly not specific to the SP, perhaps there is a reference to them in the Driving Member around 71 -73, normally they are not a unit one loses.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve

Post by daimlersteve » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 am

Anyone --- Thread ?