Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rear window catches

Akiri

Rear window catches

Post by Akiri »

I need to replace the LH rear quarter light catch on my V8-250. The old catch fell apart which I understand is a common occurrence. I have tried two new separate replacements from different suppliers and each have proved faulty. The locking lever will not cam over fully leaving the quarter light partially open which is of course unacceptable. The suppliers say they should operate correctly.
Any ideas what is wrong?
Thank you
Akiri

I

KV8

Re: Rear window catches

Post by KV8 »

Hi
I would also like to know if there are any tricks in getting these window catches to work? My O/S catch goes through the motions but as soon as you shut the door it springs open. I have adjusted whole mounting several times but to no avail. Have also compared with N/S catch which works perfectly - cannot see any differences measured with calipers.

Perhaps some guru may have answer?

H

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Took at look at mine yesterday as I have the same problem but doesn't bother me too much as I only go out in good weather, the dog on the back seat likes the fresh air and I can push them shut from the outside once the door is shut if required.

Like many challenges it's possibly the result of a number of causes, I took mine apart again and studied the mechanism closely, underneath there is a 11/32" AF bolt. the shaft of which slides in an elongated slot, this needs to be secure and the slot clean and free of wear where the bolt sits, possibly lengthened to ensure the lever "cams over" to shut the window effectively.

The excenter/"cam over" mechanism can probably only work when there is at most only minimal wear in the whole catch assembly, there are a few possibilities where wear can occur, especially where the circular seating, the lower part of the operating thumb lever, about 3/4" diameter sits in the base secured by the two screws, mine is OK, so where is the problem........?

I have improved mine by fitting new shouldered screws (those clearly visible) with extra nuts not relying on the serviceability of the thread in lower lever plus small nylon washers between the moving parts and quite tightly secured.

I also think worn (or completely knackered like mine) window seals do not help, a new or effective seal may help to grip the window shut.

Regards

Rob c.

PS: Forget the ones on E-bay, they are probably no better and cost a kings ransom

Akiri

Post by Akiri »

Many thanks for your replies - I shall look at the make up on the catches in more detail.
I agree - those catches offered on line are rubbish.

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Hello from a very pleasant early Munich evening

I hope you are all well, here we are again some months later with a promising update.......quick read on.

I have just returned from the workshop having fitted a new seal to nearside no draught ventilator, I was encouraged to discover on disassembly that it is not glued in place but sits in two tongue and groove slots running the length of seal and frame and is removed with ease.

Following a good clean up and a small application of vaseline under the tongues of frame to aid fitting it took me about an hour with a very thin plastic scraper to press, jiggle, jab and roll the new seal into place, a nice almost easy job whilst sitting on a stool.

The refitting of the 5 screws of the "light hinge" securing the NDV is not the straightforward sounding "Refitting is the reverse of the removal procedure" mentioned in manual, no sir, the screws are very short and we humans do not have enough hands and arms to hold all in place. I had to wait until another of the fellows arrived with the necessary extra limbs to hold and press the NDV into its place before the 5 short screws could be just about fitted without stripping their threads.

With the new seal fitted the NDV sits much better and stays shut even when slamming the door and withstands the pressure built up from within the passenger compartment when the door closes.

The only fly in the ointment is once again the quality of new seal supplied, it does the job, just. As can be seen from the photo which are the seals in cross-section (new left, old seal right) the vertical part against which the NDV closes against and hopefully holds off the rain and soap suds from sponge etc is not high enough, The NDV presses up against it, but only just, its not entirely identical with original in other respects aswell but works, could be better.

All the very best to you all

Rob C.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2f6.jpeg