Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dart chassis 101260

Marcus

Dart chassis 101260

Post by Marcus »

Hi dart fans.
My Dart chassis number 101260 was rescued from a junk yard in Georgia in 1984 by Bill Bernick. The three pictures of pictures show the chassis and body coming apart, then the bare chassis as Bill was restoring it. The final picture is as I purchased it from Bill in 2018.
The car should be b spec because it was made on 2nd July 1962.
My question concerns the additional strengthening beams that Jaguar added. Or more precisely the lack of them! The pictures appear to show the mounts where these beans would have been located but I’m wondering whether the chassis ever had them. The pics I have don’t seem to show any such beams or the remains of them as the body came off or even when Bill finished restoring the chassis. Any experts out there that are able to tell me what spec chassis this is from my poor pics? I’d post better pics but the car is not easily accessible at the moment.
If these beams are missing does anyone know if they are being remanufactured by one of the SP parts suppliers?

Thanks
Attachments
16A8332A-826A-488C-A770-FA4A53E8CF24.jpeg
A3114373-E458-4B25-9264-E1699C2BD7DA.jpeg
716A4D83-F8AF-450C-8576-49F4129A0390.jpeg
3CCB78AF-6BED-48C9-B5FF-35B54F6E6B68.jpeg

Zbigmak

Re: Dart chassis 101260

Post by Zbigmak »

Marcus I am in the process of finishng the restoration of a B type.
B types have a strengthening hoop between the A-posts. This should go across the body under the dashboard. I also seem to remember that the B type had an adjustable steering column. This is basically a large knurled nut on the steering column behind the steering wheel. If you loosen the nut you should be able to adjust the column.

Hope this helps.
George

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

If the car had the Jaguar modifications it can be easily checked as the body mount outriggers at the front of the chassis and at the rear fwd of the spring hangers are a triangular in shape, the modified chassis has box section outriggers with flanges on the outboard ends to mount the longitudinal box sections, Barry Thorne had the longitudinal box sections made a few times so may well have them, the rear box sections may also be obtained from him, last time I spoke to him he mentioned that most chassis parts are available in kit form but not as an assembled chassis.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Your pictures clearly show the flanged outriggers designed to carry the stiffening 'pontoons' fitted after the Jaguar takeover. The car should also be fitted with the 'A' post reinforcing frame or 'hoop'. These were very prone to severe rust damage at their lower extremities so even if your car has one, if it's original it will need replacement or repair.

Robert Grinter can supply replacement 'A' post frames and he may well be able to supply the 'pontoons' as well; if not he can probably point you in the right direction.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Marcus there is quite a lot of useful stuff on this and other matters in the Wilf Stevens articles, if you go to "home" click on Wilf Stevens, then follow the lists, read all through them as they are not in order but you will find all sorts of SP250 stuff there, which I am sure will be helpful for you. Syd

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Marcus

When I bought a pair of replacement side rails from Barry in the early 80s they were zinc plated, it would be well worth having that done if not already done. One thing not mentioned so far is that there is a box section upright bolted to the back end of the side rails and to the bodyshell at either side of the rear seat moulding. It is easy to see at the front of each rear wheelarch in front of the rear wheels. It would be a good idea to take a look at a B spec car to see for yourself if you can.

Regards

Geoff
DSC01005.JPG

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

From the photos it seems as though they are still there Geoff, probably as they don't seem to rust the same as the sill beams and the bottom of the A frame strengtheners.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Hi Ian

I don't think they're visible in the poor picture of the bare chassis, although one can just be seen in the preceding photo. But little mention in anyone's comments, so just clarification.

IIRC didn't Wilf produce drawings of the A post/scuttle hoop parts?

Cheers

Geoff

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks all. I’ll be able to take better pictures on Friday and will post some better shots. Appreciate the comments, this forum is very useful!

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Hi Marcus , they are definitely there on the rear axle shot, however they attach to the sill beam you have missing as well as the body at the top, at the present moment they do nothing