Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Automatic gear selector adjustment and gearbox issue

MVV

Automatic gear selector adjustment and gearbox issue

Post by MVV »

Hi Lads
I'm new to the forum, My 250 V8 saloon borg warner 35 boxgear selector needs adjusting .The selector will not go far enough to the left to select the Park position. Also the gear changes are very severe including when I select drive or reverse . This harsh clunking into gear also happens when the box is changing up itself ,especially from 1st to 2nd . She has not been driven for three years . Any advice greatly appreciated.
Regards
Kieran

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Automatic gear selector adjustment and gearbox issue

Post by Ian Slade »

Definitely change the oil and a good idea to clean the filter, just wash it don't wipe with any cloths or paper
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

bobtills

Post by bobtills »

Don't change the oil without a good long think first.

Read as many posts on as many forums as you can find as there is a wealth of information and warnings out there.

The official workshop manual states that changing the oil is neither necessary nor recommended and I've seen posts where people explain in some detail why you shouldn't change the oil.

But if your 'box has been reconditioned, and you know what's gone in there, the advice might be different and you might be well advised to change it. Read all the advice you can find first.

The sharpness in selecting gear may be because your tickover is too high (perhaps because of using the choke in the cold weather) and mine definitely is much harsher until it warms up, which takes longer in this weather. Oddly, when I last had a Borg Warner 35 back in the 1970s it was the opposite - much smoother when cold!

I bought mine 6 months ago and it had had very little use for years. I've done some work but mostly simply by using it things like gearchanges, tickover, brakes, axle noise have improved all by themselves with no other intervention.

MVV

Post by MVV »

Thank you lads. Any ideas on adjustment on the auto gear selector.
Regards
Kieran

bobtills

Post by bobtills »

It's covered in the manual, but from what I remember it's quite complicated.

If you get a simple fix, please post it as mine is the same. It's getting better as I use the car though.

I could scan the pages for you if you get no joy elsewhere

lioneleast

Post by lioneleast »

I suggest this may be caused by stretching of the cable putting the quadrant slightly out of adjustment with the gearbox. Take the plastic cover off the quadrant and adjust the fixing of the outer cover of the cable so that the gear changes coincide with the quadrant positions and that the starter motor only works in P & R.

MVV

Post by MVV »

Thank you for your reply lads. I will open the plastic cover and see if there is an adjustment I can make ,Thanks for the suggestion Lioneleast

MVV

Post by MVV »

I am using my car doing mostly city driving Bobtills , just as you say and hopefully a but of use will knock the rough edges off her

Tennant

Post by Tennant »

I had your symptoms except the selector problem thank goodness. I changed and flushed the oil and filter using the original, as in the manual, "Type A - suffer A" oil - not the more modern Dextron. I also adjusted the kickdown cable. MAGIC!!
My tickover is 400 - 500 RPM so there is no clunk when selecting.

Good luck

Barry tennant

chrismpw

Post by chrismpw »

I had exactly this issue with mine, not being able to select park. Adjustment underneath was out as the ball and socket could not be freed for me to turn it (it's been set for 50 years!). In the cab beneath the steering wheel the ball and socket there was at the extreme of its adjustment there too - so no luck.

Fortunately there's some left-right adjustment at the pivot of the lever beneath the steering wheel, if you slacken the largish nut that holds the pivot. This made just enough difference for me - and I now have park.

My issue is that I'm not convinced I have 3rd gear. I do 50mph at about 2500 revs - is that about right for third?