Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP Handbrake draught excluder

gc0700

SP Handbrake draught excluder

Post by gc0700 »

In respect of the handbrake lever assembly removal, the user SP250 Service Manual says "Detach the handbrake draught excluder from the floor of the cockpit by withdrawing four screws and a metal frame ...".
However mine has just a scrappy piece of leather around the lever, that barely reaches the carpet and then a hole in the floor to the chassis mounting point. No sign of a "metal frame" or even and screw holes where it might at some time have been attached.
I can't find any reference to this "metal frame" in the parts manual and in any case I suspect it may not be available from the usual suppliers.
So does anybody have a picture of the frame loose or ideally in-situ, so that I can see how it fits around the gearbox cover and to give me some idea of what I need to try to fabricate?

Many thanks
Tim

Ozzsp250

Re: SP Handbrake draught excluder

Post by Ozzsp250 »

My handbrake support bolts straight to the chassis with 4 fine threaded bolts. If it will help I can remove the drivers seat and photograph it for you.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Tim The frame I suspect they are referring to was a chrome surround which fixed the leather draft excluder to the inner floor of the car. Don't have picture and both of my manuals are in the garage at present, but I am sure some one will have the detail for you. Syd

Post by #100910 »

The service manual refers to a 'drought excluder' secured by 4 screws and a metal frame.
The parts manual refers to a 'handbrake lever leather gaiter', with no sub-listings of components used to secure it.

My original leather gaiter (replaced in 1973) has 3 screw holes along its outboard base flap with a flat indentation on top suggesting a that single metal strip once connected the 3 holes. There are no such holes or indication of a securing strip on the inboard/transmission side base flap leather.

Still smells wonderful and greasy!

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

So happens I have the driver's seat out for a bit of repair work so can get a clean shot of my handbrake and draught excluder. Only 3 screws and one strip.
Attachments
2019-12-20 21.28.01.jpg

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

Thank you all for your input on this and particular to Gordon for his picture.
It looks like fabricating a frame should be straightforward, although it will be painted rather than chromed.

Many thanks
Tim

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

gc0700 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:00 am Thank you all for your input on this and particular to Gordon for his picture.
It looks like fabricating a frame should be straightforward, although it will be painted rather than chromed.

Many thanks
I don't think the original clamp was ever chromed - it's situated under the carpet, so never normally seen. Rather than a frame, I believe Gordon's strip was the original means of securing the gaiter - I seem to recall that was what I found on my car before restoration.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

You're right Nick, it was painted black as original
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

Even better, black is easy and if it's under the carpet, easier still.
Tim

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

To close this subject off and maybe to help somebody with the same issue in the future, this is what I came up with.
It's made out of 1 mm stainless steel.
As you will see, the existing handbrake cover is way to short, but the car is hopefully going to the trimmers early in the new year for a whole new interior.
Many thanks to everybody for their helpful input.
Attachments
IMG_20191223_153745515.jpg
Tim