Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Steering

faeton

SP250 Steering

Post by faeton »

Having owned my SP250 for twenty plus years I have resisted changing the steering to R&P . Apart from parking and the harpoon at chest level I have no problem with a proper set up original steering and I must admit I like Originality .

The sun actually came out today so I thought I would go for a drive , the steering felt heavier than normal . The last time this happened the Idler had started to seize , thinking the same thing had happened I removed the centre tie rod . There was no stiffness in the Idler , When turning the steering wheel a dry squeak can be heard from the two silent bloc bushes . I know some owners have modified the idler with needle bearings . Does anyone know of any mods to replace the silent bloc bushes . Dave

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP250 Steering

Post by Ian Slade »

Pratically not really much can be done to the tie rod, you could have pins made up to take needle rollers but at the expense of more road vibration travelling to the steering column, also when set correctly the bushes help to align the steering central. As for the idler and tie rod, needle rollers are not the way to go, needle rollers are designed for 360 degree rotation, the steering arc on the SP is less than 90 degrees therefore a greased metal bearing is the better engineering solution. When my idler died I has t he casing over bored and a phosphor bronze bush shrunk fitted, a new pin of a higher grade steel was made shrunk fitted and welded to the arm.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

SPAR

Re: SP250 Steering

Post by SPAR »

Last year Barry Thorne supplied me with metal pins and bushes for the central tie rod made by Revington TR. They are a press fit but you do need to drill and tap the tie bar to take grease nipples. Obviously, you do loose the self centering action of the rubber bushes. SPAR