Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Chassis

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

SP250 Chassis

Post by New Dexter »

Now that the year has started some people's thoughts turn to trying to restore a car or two and having a conversation on this subject with an SP owner he suggested that he would like to replace the chassis on his. His car is an A spec, the chassis has been blasted and painted in a holding primer for the last X years but he thinks the metal might be a bit thin in places.
I think he is concerned about nothing but his idea of a new chassis might interest others who have cars that might benefit from a new chassis. Was there ever any progress into the development of new chassis? Preferably galvanised.

timmartin

Re: SP250 Chassis

Post by timmartin »

I have often thought how nice an all new chassis would be, especially if substantially more rust resistant than the original; appropriate galvanising (eg inside as well as out) would be especially attractive. Having grown up during a time when most cars rusted so readily, the rust resistance of most of the rest of the Sp250 is very endearing to me.

I recently had cause to discover how easily and reasonably one can buy a new galvanised chassis for a classic “Series” Landrover. But I can’t help thinking that there is a much bigger market for Landrover chassis than for Sp chassis, and that this is liable to be reflected massively in the price, and sadly maybe the quality too because of the lack of competition.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Tim
Blue 1964 SP250 in Berkshire