Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 rear axle front pinion seal

Paul0123

V8 250 rear axle front pinion seal

Post by Paul0123 »

Hi wonder if anybody can assist. I am replacing the rear axle pinion seal, its all removed and the area cleaned. There is very little info in the service manual for reassembly. There is a paper gasket and a metal/rubber seal to assemble
My questions are:
1. Does the paper gasket need any sealant when reassembling?
2. Also do I push fit the paper gasket over the rear of the seal before I assemble ? Or should I put the gasket in first then the seal after? ( I am a little concerned the gasket is tightish on the seal rear flange and may distort/ move which I won’t be able to see after assy).
3. I will put a little new oil on the inner face of the seal where the pinion shaft rotates, but does it need any sealant to the outer face perimeter where it meets the diff housing?

All inputs welcome cheers Paul

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: V8 250 rear axle front pinion seal

Post by tjt77 »

Iv personally never come accross any paper gasket related to pinion seal on a salisbury 4 HA or Dana 44 rear axle.. there ARE paper gaskets on the axle shaft bearing housings however..
these are assembled thus :- replace seal in housing.. then fit gasket after applying a suitable sealant on both sides of gasket.. thin but even coat.. original hylomar (developed for rolls royce and originally used in applications such as their turbo prop aircraft engines ) recommended using a paint brush with the brush hairs cut back to use and 'stipple' both sides of the faces being joined evenly..allow about 5 mins for the solvents to evaporate, then assemble.... I commonly use a silicon sealant such as 'permatex ultra grey" today..