Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Weights and measures

fredeuce

Weights and measures

Post by fredeuce »

Whilst rebuilding my engine recently curiosity got the better of me and I decided to weight the bare engine block without main bearing caps to ascertain the weight of the block. It comes in at 130 lbs. That compares to approx 150 lbs for a 289 Ford V8 and around 180 lbs for a 350 Chev V8. Not a light weight when you compare the relative capacities.

The machinist remarked after completing the re-bore that the material is high quality unlike a lot of modern cast iron he machines these days.

My question is what is the weight of a standard flywheel and or clutch on either the SP250 or the 2.5 Sedan?

I have a flywheel that has been adapted from a Ford 2000 Pinto engine together with matching starter motor as my engine was originally built for an automatic transmission.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Weights and measures

Post by Christopher Storey »

From memory, the flywheel weight is about 20 to 22 lbs

peterbee

Re: Weights and measures

Post by peterbee »

My digital bathroom scales say that for the SP250 the flywheel is 21.25 lbs and the clutch cover/pressure plate is 11.0 lbs. For the saloon the flywheel is 23.25 lbs and the clutch cover 15.25 lbs. In addition the 4 speed manual gearbox with overdrive, bellhousing and clutch operating bits weighs in at 136 lbs. Very heavy when you take it out by yourself.