Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Heater Blower Switch

Patrick

SP250 Heater Blower Switch

Post by Patrick »

The electric blower switch mounted on the hot/cold selector has disintegrated and is not repairable. The switch is mounted on the selector arm by 2 screws. I realize that I can mount an after market flip switch to the dash to perform in its place. However, I am wondering if the original switch is available. The hot/cold selector works perfectly. Also I know the entire control with switch can be obtained from Manners.
Any help would be appreciated.
Patrick

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP250 Heater Blower Switch

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Laurence Jones used to be able to get these rebuilt - he may still be able to do so. Contact him on the SP250 Owners Club site. Even if rebuilt it would be a wise precaution to fit a relay in the circuit; the switch passes quite a high current through flimsy contacts and arcing will probably cause failure again in time.

I preferred to replace the switch with a modern microswitch and relay with some simple modifications - see here. If this post is of interest and you are unable to see the pictures, let me know and I'll email them to you.

Another option is to use a big Healey switch - see here - although this reverses the hot and cold slider positions.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Please email me the micro switch replacement photos roger@rogerharrop.com

Many thanks

Roger

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

rogerharrop wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:14 pm Please email me the micro switch replacement photos roger@rogerharrop.com

Many thanks

Roger
Link to the piccies sent.

Regards

Nick
Nick

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Great thanks Nick

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Nick, I think the micro switch with relay route is the way to go. Please email photos and any relay wiring diagrams to gretch1209@yahoo.com.
Thanks.
Patrick

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Since there seems to be some interest in the posting on the old forum, I thought it might be easier to replicate it here - with the photos visible!

I suspect many SP owners will have more familiarity than they’d really like with this particular bit of not very reliable good old British engineering.

The Smiths heater fan switch is a simple but not a very robust piece of design, and having spent some hours fiddling around with mine to little functional effect, I decided to see if I could devise a more reliable replacement. The core problem is the points assembly and its plastic mounting block, so from a bit of old Tufnol I fabricated a new block to mount a modern microswitch . The block retains the dimensional envelope of the original and still provides guidance and detent for the operating lever, but carries the microswitch on two aluminium mounting arms. In fact, the only part discarded is the original switch block.

These are the new and old side by side.

Maplin provided the microswitch and I shortened the actuating arm to retain operation by the original cam on the operating lever.

Switch is shown in the ‘ON’ position. After a lot of push-pull on the switch knob it’s till working fine so hopefully will continue to do so reliably back in the car.

I’m not sure of the current draw of the fan motor, so it will be prudent to wire it in via a relay, but otherwise to all external appearances it will look standard.

I didn't include the wiring diagram for the relay as it's pretty straightforward. This general diagram for a typical 4-post automotive relay (cost about £2) illustrates the wiring....
relay-wiring_example2.gif
....for 'dash mounted light switch' read the new microswitch and for 'light' read fan motor. The relay can be mounted in any convenient position under the dash to maintain originality of appearance.

The switch has been in operation on my car for 7 years now and still operates consistently.
Nick

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Neat job as always, Nick - that's a great addition to the technical archive.
regards,
John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks Nick, exactly what I was looking for.
Patrick