Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Hood wooded front rail - protection?

gc0700

Hood wooded front rail - protection?

Post by gc0700 »

My car spent most of its life in Australia and when I purchased it, it had no hood and no sign that one had been fitted since it was last trimmed.
That may have worked in the Australian climate, but here in the UK, sooner or later I'm going to get a soaking.

I've purchased a new hood frame, catches and wooden front rail from Barry Thorn, which I'll present to my trimmer shortly. However the wooden rail is just bare wood and my assumption is that it should have some sort treatment to help protect it from the elements. Is this correct and if it is, what is the preferred wood treatment to use?

Many thanks
Tim

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Hood wooded front rail - protection?

Post by classiclife »

Hello Tim,

I do not know if there is a particular wood treatment for your car, but it may be worth looking at some of the varnishes that yachts use for their wooden masts and the like. These varnishes are specifically formulated to prevent the ingress of moisture but designed to allow the wood to breathe and dispel any moisture within the wood over a period of time.

Having frequently sailed off the west coast of Scotland plus their islands many years ago, I can certainly vouch for the protection offered by these specific yachting / boating varnishes which are tested constantly. Never had an issue with any wood deteriorating.

I cannot recall what I have used in the past, but may be an option.

Edit - it was either International or Sandolin; both are quality products and worth paying the extra for. I believe International give a broader choice of finishes and equally important application specifics.

Good luck.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The wooden rail is of a hardwood originally, possibly mahogany, it is well covered by the hood material if fitted correctly and should not be exposed to any weather, having lived and sailled on the West Coast of Scotland I can assure you most varnishes are useless if exposed to weather and require a annual rub down and recoating, if you are worried then soak the wood in a clear preservative for a week or so then dry out, however non of my hood wooden rails have deteriorated in 60 years, though they have a few redundant tin tack holes due to fitting of new hoods.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

I'm not at all sure my new wooden rail is in hardwood and is a composite of two pieces glued together, but it is what it is. So I'll have to live with it.

Thanks for the advice on varnish/preservative and the fact that the wood is covered by the hood material.

Thanks
Tim

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Regarding your hood Tim, the front rail consists of the wood with the hood material wrapped round and glued to the inside ( no wood can be seen) there is then a "L" shaped rubber strip that fits over the top front of of the screen when the hood is up, the "L" rubber seal is attached to the underside of the hood with a metal strip. the final seal is an inverted "T" rubber moulding that slides into the groove on the top of the screen. Should all those parts be fitted there is no way water can ingress into the car or the wood be exposed to moisture, There is a Scottish member who has had a new hood manufactured and he has access to the program to machine out new wood rails on a CNC miller, contact Fossil who is on this forum.

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

Ian,

Thanks for your input and confirmation that the wooden rail is completely covered by the hood material.
The wooden rail that I have is a nice fit to the screen top, but the front rail of the frame is an atrocious fit to the wooden rail.
I have a new "T" piece of rubber fitted to top of the screen, but had overlooked (actually I was unaware) of the "L" shaped piece, together with its attached metal strip - so many thanks for identifying that.
Tim

Rach250

Post by Rach250 »

So, to resurrect an old thread 6 & 1/2 years later, I am about to fit a new hood to a restored frame.
I have found on the forum the instructions from the Late and lamented Bryan Purves, but confess I am still at a bit of a loss as to where everything fits at the front.
The hood material we had was attached by carpet tacks hidden by the aptly named "Hidem", the ends of the wood open to the elements.
What I would like to know is where does the "L" shaped rubber fit into the scheme of things and is the metal strip the same as fitted to the hard top.
Maybe a dumb question, but without an original to refer to, it can be a little daunting ---

Thanks in advance.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The L shaped rubber fits between the hood material and the metal strip, the other arm of the L hangs infront of the outer face of the top windscreen rail. The inverted T rubber fitted into the top of the windscreen rail seals against the metal strip which is probably the same strip as used on the hardtop, can't see why a different strip would be manufactured for the same job.

Rach250

Post by Rach250 »

Thanks Ian,
I thought that could be the case, but without the original to compare with I rather wanted to be sure.
Now to make a steel strip -- what fun!!