Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rear Lights on with Ignition

rogerharrop

Rear Lights on with Ignition

Post by rogerharrop »

I'm in the middle of retrimming my Dart and have now completed the dashboard and it's looking very handsome. However, now when I turn on the ignition the rear lights come on! I thought I'd been meticulous in labelling everything and reconnecting. Any ideas on what I've done wrong please?

Many thanks

Roger

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Rear Lights on with Ignition

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Just to clarify, is it the tail lamp or the brake lights that come on? If the tail lamps, do the front side lights come on as well?

If it is actually the brake lights and not the tail lamps that come on, the likeliest problem is a shorted out brake light switch.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

It’s just the rear lights, not the brake lights and not the front side lights

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

The rear lights should be connected to a permanently live power source, usually - in fact almost certainly - unfused , and provided by a brown or brown and white wire to the light switch. If you have a Lucas RB 310/340 control box that brown/white will probably come from the B terminal of the control box . It sounds as though you have the rear lights connected to a power source provided by a white wire, which are ignition controlled and usually fused

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Many thanks Christopher

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

In case you don't have a wring drawing to work with, see attached.
Attachments
Daimler_SP250_WiringDiagram_v2.pdf
(1 MiB) Downloaded 79 times

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

👍

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Roger,
I'm puzzling how it could be only the rear sidelamps which are coming on, and not the fronts too.
The possibility I'm thinking is that your connections at the rear are crossed - what should be the sidelamps are actually connected to the brake lamp filaments, and that the brake lamp switch is shorted as Nick suggests.

A couple of things to try:
1) if you have the brake system working, press the brake pedal with the ignition (and rear lamps!) on, and see if the brake lights come on too. If they do, you have a strange connection somewhere at the dash loom to rear loom connections.
2) If the brake lights don't come on with the pedal pressed, disconnect a wire from the brake light switch and switch on the ignition. If the lights don't come on, switch on the sidelights - do the rear lights come on brightly and the front sidelights come on? If they do, then the rear sidelamp and brakelight connections could be reversed AND there's a problem with the brake switch.

And as always with SP's - double check all your earth connections , a poor earth can produce many mysterious effects!

Give those a try and let us know what happens,
cheers,
John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Hi John,
I certainly did check that it was not the brake lights - but I will again thanks

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Yes, definitely rear lights not brake and defo only the rear comes on with the ignition not the front side lights. Many thanks for all the advice.

I'll work on earths!

Roger