Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Brake & Clutch Fluid

rogerharrop

Brake & Clutch Fluid

Post by rogerharrop »

What brake and clutch fluid should I use for the Dart? Dot4?
Many thanks
Roger

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Brake & Clutch Fluid

Post by A.N.Other »

I would yes. DOT4 is perfectly adequate.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

rogerharrop

Post by rogerharrop »

Many thanks Colin

faeton

Post by faeton »

I have used silicone fluid in all my classics Brakes and Clutches for over 30years with no problems . Many years ago before the advent of free road tax I used to lay my cars up over the Winter , After the Winter lay up I always had issues with brakes , Master cylinder wheel cylinder etc seizing due to water being absorbed into the brake fluid [Hydroscopic]. I live in a particularly damp part of the country and damp garages . One particular car a Frogeye Sprite , the master cylinder rusted causing fluid to run down over the sill damaging the paint.
I had read all the scare stories about the problems of using silicone . Brake fade etc , despite this I decided to give it a go , I have never had a problem .My Dart 20 years . Mercedes 230sl 5yrs,and many other cars. Anther advantage over dot 4 is you don't have to change the fluid every few yeas as it is not hydroscopic.
I was told that the American military use silicone in all their vehicle , The only problem I could see was using a car for competition or really hard driving .

Dave

Jez

Post by Jez »

I would echo Dave's views on using Silicon DOT5 fluid, but be aware that it doesn't mix with other types of Brake Fluid, so an existing system should be thoroughly bled through before use. I haven't got around to changing the fluid on the Dart's brakes yet, as the existing fluid is still fine when tested with a hydrometer, but the clutch slave cylinder failed last year which presented the ideal opportunity for a change. It bled through easily and feels just the same as before to use - and I won't need to change it again until something else breaks!

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello,

This graph may prove useful.

Regards.

Richard.
Attachments
Brake Fluid Compatibility.PNG
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

faeton

Post by faeton »

Further to Jez reply.as he said. silicone dot 5 will not mix with other brake fluids . Most silicone fluids come with a small label which you can attach to the reservoir to avoid confusion. I have not found it necessary to strip and clean cylinders when changing fluid . providing all the cylinders are well bled and all old fluid is expelled there shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

I used silicone dot5 fluid after rebuilding all the calipers with stainless pistons 2 years ago. I'd read various scare stories about getting softer/spongier pedal but decided, like Dave says, doing away with the risk of water in the fluid during a lay up outweighed the risk. Anyway, I'm well pleased with the outcome so will flush through and change the clutch fluid in due course.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I also like the idea of technological improvements to ease the way we live so I don’t disagree with DOT 5. I just think that DOT 4 is good enough. I guess I’m a bit of a stick in the mud. I quit like the idea of actually doing regular maintenance on the cars I run.
I am also lucky that my garage is well ventilated and I have never experienced any damp problems.
I have not found any drastic problems to cause concerns on track days either. (Perhaps I’m the guy that holds up everyone!).
I am lucky that my wife lets me drive her relatively new car which is full of tech that is just for the sake of tech. It brakes, turns on the lights and wipers and locks and unlocks all by its self. It also goes like the clappers which is very entertaining. So although I like to drive it, it does wind me up when it does things that I feel It doesn’t need to do.
One thing I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole is waterless coolant.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !