Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

J Type Overdrive fitting

JSabah

Re: J Type Overdrive fitting

Post by JSabah »

Question about Wilf article .... he shows adding a vent to the dip stick but the TR6 with the J-type uses virtually the same transmission and it has a vent hole drilled on the top. It is all coming apart, any reason I don’t just do that?
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

Jez

Post by Jez »

Can't see why not. Overdrive Repair Services put the breather in the top when they supplied mine.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

Can anyone explain the differences between the pricing at Sheffield Overdrive Services who have used them?

The website has a price of £750+VAT for the J type overdrive. Then another price of £1750+VAT for a "Daimler Dart Conversion Gearbox & J Type Overdrive"

How much work is involved to convert the original 4 speed to take the overdrive box? Surely not £1000 worth??

Complete Unit exchange PLEASE NOTE THe price below contains a surcharge of £300 which is refunded on the exchange unit returned in a re-conditionable condition.For further information please call 0114 2482632.

£750.00 + Vat

£1750.00 + Vat

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

It is not that a difficult job nor lengthy, a good experienced mechanic should be able to complete the strip down and rebuild the box with an overdrive on the bench in under 4 hours.
Having checked their website it doesn't state whether it is exchange for the complete gearbox overdrive unit, however an overdrive without exchange is £750+ vat + £250 for the modified main shaft, i.e your supplied shortened main shaft, as far as I can see the complete unit is £1750+vat but the casing must be exchange(there ain't many about and even at that price they won't be supplying new) and TR3 supplied inner components but it is vague. Their prices for bearings is somewhat high, much better to buy from Timken or SKF.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

About 8 years ago I had Overdrive Repair Services strip and refurbish my SP gearbox with new bearings and synchro cones and fit a 'J' type overdrive. The cost was £1422 including VAT, but I did have a couple of old overdrive units I part exchanged which offset the total cost by about £200

Before......
P1070055.JPG
....and after....
P1070122-001.JPG
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

Ian Slade wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:00 pm It is not that a difficult job nor lengthy, a good experienced mechanic should be able to complete the strip down and rebuild the box with an overdrive on the bench in under 4 hours.
Having checked their website it doesn't state whether it is exchange for the complete gearbox overdrive unit, however an overdrive without exchange is £750+ vat + £250 for the modified main shaft, i.e your supplied shortened main shaft, as far as I can see the complete unit is £1750+vat but the casing must be exchange(there ain't many about and even at that price they won't be supplying new) and TR3 supplied inner components but it is vague. Their prices for bearings is somewhat high, much better to buy from Timken or SKF.
Yes they did say that I would need to supply my 4x speed box and there was a 4x week waiting time.

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

My OD is back and I’ve spent the past few days carefully getting it installed. Today, I I wired it up and installed my switch. All that is left to do is modify the tunnel and replace the speedo cable with a longer one. I think the switch looks like it belongs there and is very convenient
Attachments
E52AB75C-9B89-41E3-BEC1-49328BA98BA0.jpeg
BA276CBC-31B8-4488-9A1E-C461743712F4.jpeg
0982DB9B-1F5F-4C3A-B2A5-1D2AC7E565ED.jpeg
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD