Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Wheel Bearings/TR3 Wheel Bearings

rlsmith

SP250 Wheel Bearings/TR3 Wheel Bearings

Post by rlsmith »

Are the SP250 front wheel bearings the same as the TR3?

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP250 Wheel Bearings/TR3 Wheel Bearings

Post by New Dexter »

According to my records

1988/1922 and LM11949/11910

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

New Dexter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:35 pm According to my records
1988/1922 and LM11949/11910
Those are the Timken part numbers for the SP. Do you know if they are the same for the TR? TR2 to TR6 all use the same bearings
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Simple answer -- No. the tr is markedly smaller and the stub- axle weaker and bends . The best of both worlds is the tr6 upright and lower and top arms with the Sp axle and hub.The sp axle will not fit into the TR. upright so i've had 4340 cr./moly axles made to adapt to the TR6 unit. Ive done this on several cars and the better suspension setup is hugely better in caster and camber gain on turns, A relatively simple conversion. If the SP is used in racing conditions i feel its only a mater of time before the thread into the trunnion brakes off. the weakest link is removed by replacing with the Tr parts --- and all new material. Bigger brake rotors are possible and simply bolt onto the Tr caliper adapter. Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Oops, my bad , " Breaks "

John Chatfield

Post by John Chatfield »

Hi Steve, you mention having new stub axles made, who did this for you? was it expensive? I have just reamed the new trunion bushes in the arms and was thinking of replacing the bottom spring retaining plate but will be putting R&P on so the thoughts of better camber and castor are making me think. What do you need to do this conversion please? regards John

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Hi , The TR 4a-6 units dont use bronze bushes . they use a cap screw with plastic bushes , a conversion to TR uses all the TR gear .
The conversion uses only the TR gear ( though the spring base plate is the same ) and the kit that i have made up -- an Axle and various small parts to put the two together .
Regards Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Hi , The TR 4a-6 units dont use bronze bushes . they use a cap screw with plastic bushes , a conversion to TR uses all the TR gear .
The conversion uses only the TR gear ( though the spring base plate is the same ) and the kit that i have made up -- an Axle and various small parts to put the two together .
Regards Steve