Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Coronavirus Isolation Work

KV8

Coronavirus Isolation Work

Post by KV8 »

Hi

I am wondering what work on their Daimler V8 engined cars other members have embarked upon due to more time on their hands (washed of course!). I have several that I intended to do over the Winter but got pushed further and further onto the back burner due to other family issues requiring absence from home, another virus that laid me low for 2 months, too cold, etc.
However with the (last week) warmer weather I have started to attack one on my Daimler V8 saloon.
This is to install inertia reel seat belts to the front seats to replace the frayed tatty loose type original belts. Furthermore to install the inertia reel at the base of the B post whereas it would have encroached on the footspace of the rear passenger if mounted as on the floor of the originals.
I used the mounting plates sold for mounting full harness in competition conversions of production cars.
I needed to take 2mm off two sides and the base of these and then was able to site these through the rear door hinge gap at the base of the B post. The bolt hole then locates near dead centre of the trim locating pin hole. Aftter enlarging this to give a mounting bolt some clearance it was after several attempts possible to engage the bolt in the thread. I then squirted impact adhesive between the plate and the inner B post and waiting 20 mins I tightened the bolt fully. I then packed the gap between the back of the plate and the outer B post skin with a plastic packing foam (not styrofoam or polystyrene foam - coarser).

Unfortunately the weather turned and that is as far as have got but am now ready to mount inertia reel with return to same bolt make up. Will conclude as soon as weather improves.

What other "roundtoit" jobs have other members been able to start due to isolation?

Regards and keep safe to all

H

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus Isolation Work

Post by John-B »

I got the oil and filter changed the day before the social distancing became law, then gave the car a wash and polish ready for the season's shows but since then I imagine all will be cancelled.
I plan to use the Dart to fetch food from the local shop which is 150 yards away (by a roundabout route) and watercress from the packing station one mile away (by a roundabout route)!

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I've decided to commemorate the occasion.....
P1320178.JPG
;)
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

I have the gearbox out of my SP with the full intention to strip and add a J type overdrive..

What will probably happen is Sheffield Overdrive Services will get it... :D

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

KV8 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 pm Hi.
This is to install inertia reel seat belts to the front seats to replace the frayed tatty loose type original belts.
I've been looking for old-style seat belts for a long time. Forty years ago the car had full harness seat belts, narrow and grey with buckles that folded over to clamp the webbing under strain. The buckles didn't click to lock. Very much like the seat belts I used on my Dakota trips to Glasgow. The fixings were by a clip over a single floor loop behind the seat as far as I can remember.

Any chance of a photo as I might be interested in buying them?

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Those Round Tuits don't work. I have 2 of them and still have lots of jobs outstanding.

Tennant

Post by Tennant »

I thought it was a good time to replace the rear springs on my 250. On my own it was damned hard and fiddly work! One thing always leads to another. Because the car sits higher now, the too wide tyres someone fitted, rub on the spats. Made worse by the rubbers on the Panhard rod being shot. So, 4 new tyres today, and I have something to do tomorrow on the panhard rod and torque arms. It is never boring with old cars!!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I have managed to complete half a dozen once started never finished jobs on the house and around the garden in the past week or so. Satisfaction of seeing the long awaited finished result does spur you on.

About to start wood preservative and repairs on the bordering fences and paint the ship lap on the garage, whilst the weather permits.

Antifreeze needs changing in both the SP and the V8 250, I had 10 litres of the right stuff for Christmas, so that will be a priority, except the SP has sprung a weep, half a pint of water in the oil catcher tray over winter. Need to find that first, then flush them out and refill. Both cars really are overdue for a proper spring clean, spruce up and service.

I have a load of garage de-cluttering, far too long overdue, then there is a the little matter of the attic, we stuffed a load of excess up there 20 years ago, I have promised to clear it our many times.

That should keep me busy for a few weeks.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

John-B wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am [qHi.

I've been looking for old-style seat belts for a long time. Forty years ago the car had full harness seat belts, narrow and grey with buckles that folded over to clamp the webbing under strain. The buckles didn't click to lock. Very much like the seat belts I used on my Dakota trips to Glasgow. The fixings were by a clip over a single floor loop behind the seat as far as I can remember.

Any chance of a photo as I might be interested in buying them?
Hi just in time! was about to cut main part of belt from floor mounting where bolt and underfloor nut rotate together. Prospect of a significant wad of quids could be encouragement enough to jack up each side and hold underfloor nut to remove. Quids would be donated to a charity providing aftercare to elderly Covid19 survivors (yet to be identified).

These belts are lap and diagonal - will post photo of passenger belt which is still as fitted.

Regards

H

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Sorry, thanks for replying but my car had full harness with two shoulder straps and lap strap, but I've never seen these since. I'm sure you had best intentions re charity, but it will have to go without my donation.

During the forty years when I didn't own the car, the belts disappeared.