Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Salisbury 7HA - Series 1 - Differential

DaveM

Salisbury 7HA - Series 1 - Differential

Post by DaveM »

Hi all, well the boredom of corona isolation has got to me, so I decided I'd investigate the rear end clunk I've been so annoyingly experiencing. Having already stripped and overhauled the back axle, I was convinced the clunk must be related to something other than the axle, but after months of investigating every possible explanation and finding nothing, the axle needed to come back out again. Considering I had upgraded the engine, fitted a six speed gearbox, rear anti roll bar and adjustable shock suspension, I knew the drive train was strong - All apart from the Salisbury Series 1 differential carrier. I'd heard this can suffer from catastrophic failure at the bearing lands, therefore, I decided if the axle had to come out again, then this time I would replace the diff' with a Limited Slip Diff and sleep soundly thereafter.

The below drawing records all the measurements I took of the Series 1 diff' carrier which I hope maybe of use to others
Salisbury 7HA Differential Carrier.jpg
Having researched the internet, it appears Quaife make an LSD for the Series 2 axles but not for the Series 1 versions. Comparing the two sets of dimensions it would appear the only difference between them is the series 2 has bigger diameters for the diff' bearings (ID of 41.3mm diameter as apposed to 38.1mm) than the series 1. However, these bearings are slightly thicker as well and therefore required a longer landing area. (23.1mm long as opposed to 21.5mm). These modifications relate to Salisbury's attempt to strengthen the area where failures had been occurring behind the bearings (they also lengthened the pinion as they believed this had some impact on the failures by putting undue stress on the crown wheel which overstressed the diff' carrier in way of the bearings).

Below are the dimensions for the Quaife LSD
Quaife LSD for Salsbury 7HA Series 1 Axle.jpg
So to fit the LSD there are two options 1) modify the diff' housing to take the "as build" LSD, or 2) modify the LSD to fit the Series 1 diff' housing.

Option 1 wasn't practically viable for me as the axle tubes had been welded to the diff' housing, good in some respects, but there was no practical way to line bore the bearing housings to take the bigger outside diameter of the series 2 bearings.

Option 2 would appear to be the way forward. I contacted Quaife and asked if they could machine down the 4.13mm diameter and I would make some 1.6mm spacers to take up the extra bearing land. Unfortunately Quaife were not too helpful and suggested that any alterations would require a new series of LSD' to be made and if I ordered 30 then they might be prepared to help out. I also asked if i machined the diameter myself would it effect the warranty, not surprisingly they stated it would. I also called jb-engineering who are known to be leader in the repair of these early axles, although helpful, they didn't have any experience of fitting an LSD into a series 1.

This is where I have got to so far. I strongly believe with a little bit of machining (which I'm more than prepared to do) and also risking the £900 LSD investment, the LSD could be fitted. This could offer a 'get out of jail' option if you have a broken diff' carrier and can't find a replacement.

The remaining option was to investigate the original axle clunk and find/ fix it without fitting an LSD, this I've covered in a separate post "Salisbury Clunk"

Looking forward to responses, good or bad, as to whether you indeed think this is feasible or have any other background info.

Thanks Dave

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Salisbury 7HA - Series 1 - Differential

Post by classiclife »

Hello Dave,

A very interesting thread and thanks for posting - as you have alluded to, most frustrating.

Have you spoken with Hardy Engineering in Leatherhead - who are very helpful and likely to be more receptive to your enquiry. They are a family business rather than a corporate wall.
https://www.hardyengineering.co.uk/diff ... ey-london/

Out of interest and connected with this issue, what additional work if any did you carry out on the propshaft when you did your 6-speed conversion ??

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the lead with regards to Hardy, I might give them a call but for now I think I've repaired the original diff', see separate post "salisbury clunk" so I might keep the LSD conversion up my sleeve for now

Regarding the propshaft, I measured the new distance between gearbox and diff' flange and had a new balanced propshaft made up, more info in the post "fancy a 6 speed gearbox, heres how"

Thanks Dave

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

A further thought!

Can anybody confirm that the series 2 half shafts are the same as the series 1?
Know the MK2's had a wasting added to the shaft, but are they the same length, and more importantly, is the drive shaft spline the same diameter and number of teeth?

Would be embarrassing to machine the LSD and find the drive shafts don't fit

Thanks for any info you have
Dave

Post by #100910 »

Parts catalog indicates same shaft for both assemblies.
Axles.PNG