Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dart vertical links

Patersoncm

Re: Dart vertical links

Post by Patersoncm »

Nick and Syd

Many thanks for your comments. No doubt the play in my links will reduce significantly when thoroughly greased up.

Chris

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

If you really want to startle yourself -- lock the Trunnion on the vise and push the top end of the link !!

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The length of thread in the SP trunion is considerable longer than the TR version, using a trunion manufacured to the SP spec will reduce the lateral play.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

The wear , apart from the thread, also takes place on the parallel section above the top of the thread The slop can be reduced by shortening the top of the trunnion and burying the vtl. link into the trunnion another turn the above is only a quick fix to get some more life out of a buggered unit. The beauty of the tr5/6 unit is that this parl. section is twice the length and larger in dia. The tr2/3/4 are all the same thread profile as the Sp. I've probably seen (not commissioned myself ) all the mods done to these including turning the thread completely off , shortening and bushing the trunnion , threading the vtl. link at the bottom and pinning a castellated nut there. One previous SP owner had totally new Trunnions machined up to fit his dressed vtl. link threads. Not a cheap job .
Regards Steve.
PS, will have the final undercoat on the current SP.tomorrow , then off to the painters for the top coat in a week or so. Have three Hardtops to get together and undercoated as well.

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi , i remember reading somewhere that vertical links from a Reliant are the same as the SP 250 , is that information correct and if so ,which Reliant model / models would be appropriate ,Regards Terry .

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Reliant Sabres and early SE4 Scimitar Coupés (based on the Ogle SX250 styling exercise) used the SP vertical link. I doubt that many of those retain their original suspension now.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Most of the Simitars are the later TR units

Reedweaver

Post by Reedweaver »

Bargain...3500euros for a pair of vertical links. The £1000 doesnt seem too bad now. :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daimler-Dart ... SwZE1fAfVT

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi ,i have just removed the steering box ,idler and all linkage from my SP ,the box turns freely but there is a lot of wear between the rocker shaft and bush ,the idler also turns freely ,with everything disconnected ,both vertical links do NOT turn freely, in fact it takes a bit of effort to turn them ,although i am going to strip them anyway ,is it likely to be the top ball joints or the vertical links /trunnions that is the cause of the tightness ,(there is quite a lot of grease around the trunnions) i have checked them with the jack under the chassis so the suspension has dropped down onto the lower bump stops ,i will try checking them with the jack under the suspension to see if that makes a difference ,any advice would be most welcome ,Regards ,Terry .

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi, In my opinion it will be the trunions seizing on the vertical links. Many years ago I had one shear as I was driving. Not a nice experience.

Dave.