Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Re: crankcase rope seals

99B

Post by 99B »

Hi, I am looking to have work undertaken to said issue and, would like the forums advice as to, stay with the original rope oil seals or, go with the new conversion to the newest style of seal.
If I go for the conversion, where can I purchase said kit and can most engineering works undertake the task.
Have any members had this conversion undertaking and if so, has it been successful? And from where purchased and fitted.
Many thanks.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I have no experience of the plastic seal on the V8, but I have seen several Jaguar XK engines which have been ruined by the attempts to fit a lip seal kit. Once the crank is machined there is no going back, and on 3 out of the 4 engines of which I have experience ( none of them mine I'm pleased to say ) they process was a failure and a new crank - and a reversion to rope seal - was required . My advice is stick with the rope seal , which was fitted to literally millions of engines worldwide in the 1950 - 1965 era

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi Paul, Chris is right, rope seals have been reasonably reliable since Adam was a boy, however by modern standards they were a primitive solution and do leak in time.

My SP engine leaks oil from both the front and back ends of the crank. Not a huge amount, but sufficient to be a nuisance and to need a tray underneath at all times to avoid oil on the garage floor.

My V8 250 however has a Russ Carpenter "improved" engine, cost the previous owner a lot of money to have done, it is completely oil tight and gem.

As Chris says things can go wrong with a lip seal conversion, but if you want it done right, dozens before you have had it done with Russ and Andrew Carpenter and they will stand by their work in the unlikely event things should go wrong.

Give Russ a ring he is a most obliging chap and will talk you through it.

It is not cheap and he has a waiting list. Syd

99B

Post by 99B »

Thank you both for your advice and, it has persuaded myself to stay with the rope oil seals.
Regards Paul