Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Starter solenoid rain protection shroud

Alpine Daimler

Starter solenoid rain protection shroud

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Hello everyone

Whilst continuing with my lockdown tinkering I thought I would remove the starter solenoid and start there to clean as many electrical connections and earthing points as I can get to as a lot of mine haven't been disconnected and cleaned since January 1967.

This involved removing the mounting bracket and what I would call a rain protection shroud which fits on the center of bulkhead above the solenoid, see item 30 of plate 18 of the parts catalogue.

I was glad I did this as I came across trouble brewing, the two feed wires to the solenoid appear to have been chafing against underside of shroud and/or have started to overheat or have done in the past and very nearly melted and caused hassle or worse.........you may like to check yours and like me sand blast the mounting bracket and shroud and respray, its very little work and achieves quite a lot re appearance of engine bay when opening the bonnet for very little effort.

I shall be examining the dip switch next amongst other connections, apparently a known weak point and not fused.

Keep well all....the beer gardens open here next week!

Rob C.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2ce.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2cd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2cc.jpeg

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Starter solenoid rain protection shroud

Post by classiclife »

Hello Rob,

Well presented and worthy of mention, thanks for taking the time to post.

On a similar vein, I was checking my ignition switch recently and found that a PO had not quite fitted one of the wires correctly. Instead of connecting properly on to the ignition switch spade terminal it had been fitted so that the switch terminal was between the spade connector and the plastic insulating sleeve.

Over the years, the plastic had degraded allowing the spade connector to move quite freely and was only being held in situ by the tension of the wire.

The spade terminal in question was, needless to say, the furthest one away and very much obscured from view - hence the misalignment.

All sorted now.

I wonder how many of these little surprises, owners have lurking on their cars; hopefully minimal.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Brucie

Post by Brucie »

I can see the heads of the three bolts that secure the rain shield. I can also start to loosen these. However, as they are loosened they seem very loose and I am concerned that the nuts or fixings behind the bulkhead to which the panel is secured will be lost. I can see no way to reach that area. Please can you advise?

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Hello, I have Just re-visited all the Pics I took of this and other Jobs in that area.
As I recall the screws secure Into anchor nuts secured Into that area of the bulkhead, they are fiendishly well defended, access to to them is nigh on impossible, including removal of vent flap or wriggling under dash and getting trapped there in a hopeless attempt at gaining access. I believe all is not lost, If you have loosened the screws apply plus Gas or similar somehow to the threads and try gentle tightening and loosening. If that fails and the anchor nuts drop Off replace with "Riv-nuts" , that"ll Work fine I'm Sure.
Regards Rob C.