Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lock nut dimension inhibitor switch

Tennant

Lock nut dimension inhibitor switch

Post by Tennant »

Does anyone know the spanner size for the inhibitor switch lock nut. Just to ease the pain of trying to loosen something I cannot see without knowing the spanner to use.

Barry

steve thomas

Re: Lock nut dimension inhibitor switch

Post by steve thomas »

Hello Barry,
The locknut is 11/16th. One of those little mirrors on a stick is useful down there to see what’s what.
Good luck
Steve

Tennant

Post by Tennant »

Thank you Steve. I was worried that it would not pass the German MOT test without the reversing light working, but I took it there and the tester showed little interest in failing such a lovely car and passed it with no fuss at all!!
So I will leave the Gynaecology operation for a later time.
Barry

DaimlerBoy

Post by DaimlerBoy »

I have a need to replace the inhibitor switch on my V8 BW35 gearbox, but it is the most awkward job with the gearbox fitted. I have temporarily by passed the switch to allow me to continue with my restoration (checking the electrics). Reversing light and starter circuit now on switches.

Any suggestions on how it can be done without removing the gearbox?

steve thomas

Post by steve thomas »

It is perfectly possible to replace the switch with the gearbox in situ, just a bit fiddly. When I did mine I found that partially removing the heat shield above the exhaust gave a little bit more room for manoeuvre, and using a mirror was helpful.
Good luck
Steve

DaimlerBoy

Post by DaimlerBoy »

Thanks Steve for your info.

I have just removed the heat shield this morning but the only 11/16" A/F spanner is have is too long so I am in the process of making up something that I hope will do the job. (I'll let you know)

Not sure that the switch is U/S but removing the connections and crossing them allowed me to turn the engine over on the button and the reversing light worked too, so hopefully it is the switch and not something within the gearbox. This is the last electrical item to resolve as all the others are woking fine.

steve thomas

Post by steve thomas »

The switch needs to be correctly adjusted. The workshop manual covers this in some detail - if you don’t have access to this let me know and I’ll post the details. With my car the issue was that it would start in any gear, and that the reversing light would be on in all forward gears!! I replaced the switch, but in hindsight it was probably just out of adjustment.
Regards
Steve

Tennant

Post by Tennant »

Steve,
Just an update. The only problem I have with the inhibitor switch is the reversing light not working, as it is totally disconnected. Some clever mechanic, instead of messing with the switch, got over the safety aspect by wiring the starter solenoid through the brake light switch, so it will only start when the brake is applied. Not a bad idea!

Barry