Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Rocker covers

csm1406

Rocker covers

Post by csm1406 »

Hi
How many variations are there with the rocker covers ?. I know the shape cannot vary but the vent can be in different locations ?. Also - the vent pipe - is this a press fit ?. Replies eagerly awaited.

Cameron

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Rocker covers

Post by classiclife »

Hello Cameron,

The position of the vent tubes on the rocker cover is relative to the air filter box.

The metal tubes between the cover and air filter are push fit with a rubber pipe connector; these are then secured by jubilee clips.

Photo attached.

Regards.

Richard.
Attachments
DSC00972.JPG
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Dart

Post by Dart »

Early covers had a smooth gasket face and later ones had a groove machined in to take an o ring type seal or to put more pressure (less area) onto the cork gaskets to try to effect an oil tight seal - which they never did.
Not seen one yet that was dry all around the joint when concours judging.

John M

csm1406

Post by csm1406 »

Hi
The way to fit the cork gaskets is to glue the gasket to the rocker cover & then grease the underside - I have had no leaks in that area for many years - this tip passed to me by an expert. Also you can get rocker cover off and reuse with stuck on cork gasket several times.

Cameron

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Cameron, the answer to your original question is that as far as I know there are two different positions for the vent tubes to suit the different saloon and SP type air cleaners. As has been said there are also early type covers with flat gasket surfaces or the ones with a 1 mm wide deep groove in the mating surface.

Both saloon and SP covers will fit either engine but with the difference in the air cleaner output position.

If as I suspect your question is based on which ones will fit which engine, I can't see why those with the pan type air cleaner could not be re-drilled in the right place and the output tubes re positioned with the old holes sealed up and of course vikky verky to suit the other type air cleaners.

Don't get me started on the gasket seal. The late great Wilf Stevens suggested this and I have done it on both my cars and the top ends are COMPLETELY dry. It works with the covers with grooves. Simple buy a 2 meter length of 3 mm "O" ring rubber, cut it very accurately to length and glue it so that it sits on the top of the groove and at the join. Starting at what will be the top of the cover. I used superglue, when it is set clamp the cover on and you will never have a leak again. One enterprising owner had grooves machined into his blank surface covers. Hope that helps. Syd

csm1406

Post by csm1406 »

Syd
My original enquiry came about as I was having some spare rocker covers polished and wanted to know if there were differences - now all polished and ready to fit sometime.

Thanks for your response .

Cameron

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

Covers on early cars, as far as I know, were in a 'sandcast' finish and as such are difficult to polish to a shiny surface (if that is what you prefer). It could be that like the early Honda Four motorbike 'sandcast' could become desirable and attract a premium in time? personally I quite like the unpolished finished as long as it still has a uniform unblemished finish.

Antony