Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 front damper and spring removal

Jez

SP250 front damper and spring removal

Post by Jez »

Most of the bushes in the front suspension appear to be past their best, and the spring has been noted as corroded in an MoT advisory, so it's time for a refresh. I've decided to go with Superflex poly bushes as they seem to do all the necessary parts.
Looking at the manual, for removal of the front dampers it suggests raising the car, removing the wheel and then unbolting the lower rebound rubber and bracket from the chassis. From my understanding, once the car is jacked up the spring pushes the lower wishbone against the rebound rubber, which makes removal unwise at best.
Am I missing something? It looks like to remove the rubber then it will be necessary to put a jack under the disc or outer part of the wishbone to take the spring load away from the rebound rubber, although I'd prefer a better way of securing the spring. I don't think there is room for my regular spring compressors, and removing the spring according to the manual has a first step of removing the damper!
Thoughts?
Cheers - jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

RadfordJim

Re: SP250 front damper and spring removal

Post by RadfordJim »

How about a heavy duty ratchet strap?
My trusty garage service man used one to retain the spring compression when he undid the lower wishbone to correct the castor angle last year.
Seemed to work a treat!
Good luck - Jim
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I seem to remember a trolley jack worked well enough for me.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Two lengths of running thread 8mm /5/16 120mm long . double nut one end. replace the centre spring plate bolts with these jack up on the hub. remove all other bolts -- start with the inner two on the spring plate. The shock will top out making the removal safe Wind down the threads evenly --- no problem -- replace in the reverse order.
cheers

Jez

Post by Jez »

Thanks All. I found a variation on a theme because, on my car at least, the nuts holding on the lower bump stop bracket are practically inaccessible, the only way in being the hole further up the side of the chassis upright. However, by using approx 7.5" bolts I was able to remove and replace the spring without needing to remove the bump stop bracket.

For the record, the process is to jack up the suspension under the hub. A screw jack gives much better control than a hydraulic type. Once the lower wishbone is horizontal you can remove the lower bump stop and the shock absorber can be removed if required. Replace the middle spring pan bolts by the long ones,using a lower nut and washer to take the load of the spring. A spacer makes the nut easier to access, due to the lip on the spring pan. Remove the inner and outer spring pan bolts and then wind the pan down using the nuts on the long bolts. When the shock absorber mounts hit the bump stop bracket, jack up some more and repeat until the mounts and then the spring pan clear the bracket. Around this time you will feel the tension of the spring has gone and it can be removed.

Refitting, as they say, is the reversal of removal. Once the shock absorber mounts are past the bump stop bracket you can progressively lower the jack to reduce the tension in the spring. When the spring pan is close enough to the wishbone fit the outer bolts and some similar length bolts to the inner bolt holes. This enables the spring pan to be properly lined up. Replace the inner bolts with the correct ones when the pan is fully home.

Cheers - Jez (now with fully rebushed front suspension!)
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Yep, the top bolt on the lower bump stop ( droop actually ) is a pain --- sometimes seized so gets sheared off . A ring spanner is the go there. then all the rest are obvious . as described. , must have done it a hundred times. good desciption of process - i cant be bothered putting fingers to keys for that long .
Cheers Steve
Ps Two cars now at 400 grit finish ready for final coats.

Jez

Post by Jez »

In this case, I could just manage the top bolt on the bumpstop bracket, but the chassis upright has a plate welded across the bottom which prevents access to the lower bolts. From your description, I'm now assuming this is not a standard feature - I guess it must have been added when the car was restored in the 80's - which effectively means the bracket is going nowhere without major surgery!!
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys