Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Rear Spring Removal Problem

Cameron

SP250 Rear Spring Removal Problem

Post by Cameron »

Further to my earlier post, I have ordered some replacement rear springs for my SP250.

In preparation for their arrival I started to remove the existing springs this afternoon but have hit a problem.

The nut on rear spring bolt is seized solid (the longest one at the rear which goes into the chassis. The bolt itself is now just spinning and when I look at the other end, which is visible from within the boot, I can see that the head is just round with a notch and won’t accept a spanner.

Has anyone come across this issue before or have any guidance on how to remove the bolt?

If I can obtain a replacement bolt then one perhaps the best option may be to grind the nut off?

Thanks in advance.

Cameron.

JohnM

Re: SP250 Rear Spring Removal Problem

Post by JohnM »

Hi Cameron,
my car has conventional bolts in that position - the heads stay just clear of the body - so if you get the nut off you shouldn't have a problem if you do have to change the bolt.
Have you tried a nut splitter? I've got them in a couple of sizes and you should be able to get one onto that nut ok. Otherwise yes, just grind it off.

Good luck!
John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Cameron

Re: SP250 Rear Spring Removal Problem

Post by Cameron »

Thanks for the advice John, I’ll order a nut splitter and give that a go.

Regards,

Cameron.