Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Sp250 rear axle

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Sp250 rear axle

Post by daimlersteve »

I should say that the bigger carrier bearing allow a larger diameter of the carrier itself at the point where the earlier series fail
Steve

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

Probably less of an issue these days as I doubt many thrash the cars as they might have done back when they were new

Kevin

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Gentlemen,
Firstly, I apologize for my disagreement earlier but, ask you to consider this.
In the last three years I have purchased two sets of series one c/w and pinion from B. Thorne and have subsequently rebuilt two rear axles.
The second one I rebuilt is currently fitted to my car and does have three plugs.
The first one I rebuilt definitely only has two plugs and is fitted with the series one diff. carrier with the 1.500 inch brg. journals and the shorter input pinion.
It seems I have something of a rogue. This obviously is the one I looked at prior to posting my original comment.
Incidentally, John Powell another Dart owner happened to phone me last night and it appears he also has a first series axle on his car and that only has two plugs fitted.

Dave.

ppiantel

Post by ppiantel »

Further on my Sp250 rear axle.
My axle has two plugs only.
The Salisbury 7HA manual says that the oil capacity is 1,1 liters.
My mechanic has completed the overhaul, changing oil seals and bearings in the two axles, and now he is telling me that he has put 2 liters of oil (85W140) in the filler plug and still the level is not reached.
Can somebody explain the mystery? Where is the oil gone?

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Hopefully the rear cover is not upside down, the SP manual states 0.852 litres though 1.1 litres is quoted for a Morgan 4/4 which basically is the same axle, the recommended oil is 80W90, 85w140 may be a bit heavy for road use it is more for slow running agricultural and construction vehicles.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

ppiantel

Post by ppiantel »

The cover cannot be mounted upside down, it is not symmetrical.
The oil grade is a must, according to Barry Thorne.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Should have checked my spare axle before posting instead of just looking at the manual, re upside down. The bottom of the filler plug should be level with the bottom of the tubes, if it is above that then any extra oil will run into the tubes and until the the tube fills to the bottom of the filler plug it won't show. the car therefore must be level both transversely and fore and aft for the correct level to be attained, any tilt sideways the oil will start filling one of the tubes, if the rear is raised then the extra oil will run towards the pinion seal but this will not take very much extra oil.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

EJP

Post by EJP »

Silver Dart is correct, I have an early car with the 1st condition axle and that only has two removable plugs, back plate and drain point, there is a boss on the top of the axle casing which is solid. If I knew how to do it I would have added a photo to this post.

Digressing slightly I recall there being a difference in the number of welded "plugs" holding the axle tubes into the axle casing.

SPAR

Post by SPAR »

The following Service Bulletins from the Daimler Company will clarify the position. The early axles did have 3 plugs but, in line with the 1961 Bulletin, the hex may have been sawn off thus disguising its presence.
rear axle upgrade 1.jpg
SP rear axle top plug.jpg