Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fitting Inertia Reel Seat Belts

PaulR

Fitting Inertia Reel Seat Belts

Post by PaulR »

Has anyone any experience of fitting front & rear inertia reel seat belts to a Daimler V8 saloon (1963). I was looking at Securon belts model SBS254 for the rear (with multiangle retractor) and model SBS500/45 for the front, but I've a couple of queries which I've been unable to resolve with the supplier I contacted including:

1) Rear Seat Belt: Is there space for the retractor unit on the parcel shelf, utilising the existing fitting? There's about 3cm from the hole to the front & rear but due to the rear window I can't find out if their retractor unit will fit (see photo).

2) Rear Seat Belt: Is the thread on the existing fitting a UNF 7/16"?

3) Front Seat Belt: I need to attach a securing point at the bottom of the B post, but not sure exactly where it should go (see picture) and if the standard securon fixing plate (see photo) will fit. I'm aware I need to be careful of the rear door hinge and grease nipple. Should the plate be welded on the outside of the B post? Does anyone have any pictures or measurements of this being done?

4) Front Seat Belt: What length of buckle stalk have people used. There are 30cm & 45cm versions?

Any advice & pictures would be a real help.

many thanks
Paul
Attachments
Securon Fixing Plate.jpg
Securon Fixing Plate.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 513 times
B Post_r.jpg
ParcelShelf1_r.jpg

KV8

Re: Fitting Inertia Reel Seat Belts

Post by KV8 »

Hi I swapped to front inertia reels on my V8 saloon earlier at the beginning of the lockdown.

The mounting plates you show are not unique to Securon and are readily available on e-bay where they are sold as supplementary mounting plates for competition full harness.

I used these plates to mount my inertia reels at the base of the B post.I found that if I cut a sliver of about 2mm off 3 sides of these plates they can be inserted at the base of the B post via the lower door hinge aperture to align with the lower trim panel clip hole.

The procedure i followed was as follows:-

Remove trim panel

Drill hole to pass bolt on centre of lowest trim clip insertion hole.

Enter plate via hinge aperture and locate such that bolt can engage thread in plate nut. This is a bit fiddly and dropped plate a couple of times on each side - retrieved using my magnetic wand!

Once thread engaged then tighten to approx 1/4" gap to inner of B post . Dribble Evostick or sealant between plate and inner of B post then tighten to good finger tight + 1 turn.

Packed rear of plate with scrap foam etc to secure placement of plate. Remove bolt.

Cut hole in trim panel to pass bolt just above trim clip mounting hole. (cut vinyl with Knife and remove padding temporarily).

Refit trim panel

Reel can then be mounted although I had to order longer bolts.

Hope this helps. I have couple of photos by cannot see how to post these on this Forum .
Please ask any questions.

H