Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Seats & Headlining

bobtills

Seats & Headlining

Post by bobtills »

My 1968 V8 250 could do with a new headlining (or a clean) & either some repairs to the front seats or new leather. Pale blue.

I've been on to a couple of trimmers who are able to do it but it's costing a lot more than I expected.

I don't want a bodge; I'd rather keep the ones I've got but does anyone have any recommendations?

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Seats & Headlining

Post by classiclife »

Hello Bob,

I have used Ambersil Auto Groom on numerous occasions with various classics and have found it to be very good; this also includes cleaning headlining.

As for the seats, it depends how bad they are and if a repair is VFM against new covers.

Trimmers pretty much name their own terms when it comes to upholstery / car trimming.

Any photos ??

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

bobtills

Post by bobtills »

Here's some photos. The headlining looks nice & clean but it's not - it's stained brown in places because a previous owner smoked and due to water getting in years ago through the rear window seal.
Attachments
Headlining falling off.JPG
Driver seat back.JPG
Driver seat cushion.JPG

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello Bob,

Apart from oil, I believe smoke and water stains are the 2x hardest elements to get rid of - you certainly have nothing to lose by trying a proper cleaning agent; such as Ambersil as mentioned.

If the leather on the seats has physically broken it will be difficult and time consuming - read in to that costly - to get the defects rectified with any degree of success and that is if they are repairable.

The attached photo shows my seats when I purchased the car, they were beyond salvation as the leather had become extremely brittle and crack easily. No amount of feed or repair would have rescued them. The only route was new covers as seen in the photos as well.

Have you had any feed back from trimmers / restorers as to the feasibility of repair ??

I accept that owners like to maintain that "used look" with leather seats, but there comes a point where that cosmetic appearance is no longer viable and cannot be salvaged.

Regards.

Richard.
Attachments
DSC00975.JPG
DSC00701.JPG
DSC00694.JPG
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

ShandyandLady

Post by ShandyandLady »

Hello Bob,
I'm due to have my seats back tomorrow from a local trimmer here in Swansea all with new leather. The old ones especially the fronts were way beyond repair so I decided to get them all done for colour match. I will let you know the outcome. The trimmer has taken a long time so I'm hoping for a good result.

lioneleast

Post by lioneleast »

Bob,

You seats don’t look that bad to me. Looking at your photograph of the driver seat the damage at the centre may be because springs are broken underneath. I have this problem and would like to know whether there is any way of replacing a few springs or whether the complete spring system can be bought.

I think there is a case for retaining the original leather if possible. It is thick, unstretched and has its original animal grain. I was told years ago that modern upholstery leather is stretched up to 9 times. It is then much thinner and also loses its original grain so an apparent grain has to be stamped on it.

With regard to softening old leather I had success by applying a leather cream many times over a period of a year or so and then doing it again every few years.

Regards,

Lionel

KV8

Post by KV8 »

HI

For softening leather IMHO you can't beat good old Dubbin as used on football/rugby boots in my first 30 years. If laying up a car for winter i give the seats a good coat. Clean off in the spring, Results are amazing. Unfortunately the original Meltonian brand is NLA but have found Wrens brand very good. Please note this does not restore cracked leather but may make it softer.
H

Stevesv8250

Post by Stevesv8250 »

Just reviving this thread,
If using dubbing did you find it actually softened the leather?
My seats were really hard and I was told to use Nivea skin cream which i have done but to no avail as does not soak in to the connollised leather, it makes it smell nice but that's about it.
Any advice welcome.
Steve.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Hi apologies only just seen your post . Dubbin most definitely softens the leather although it does not work as well on my drivers seat that had been treated by the PO with some sort of "restoration paint" But please appreciate that my experience over 4 classic cars was always after 3 months minimum treatment so not any sitting on treated seat meanwhile! Dubbin was de riguer weekly treatment for the leather footy and rugger boots I used in my youth in the 50's and 60's
HTH
H

Stevesv8250

Post by Stevesv8250 »

Thanks for that.
My seats have also had a colour change as I realised when cleaning them, for some reason they have gone from tan to black! If I could remove all the black I would go back to tan. This must be the reason why the Nivea isn't soaking in, will try dubbing and see if that softens them up.