Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

which engine crane

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: which engine crane

Post by A.N.Other »

Sounds like a plan.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

C3E924F5-D2C3-4BD0-BCAB-385998E63768.jpeg
I use a Clarke’s 500kg loft crane.
Paul

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi Paul , did you lift it out like that with the car flat on the floor or did you have to raise the rear end ? Terry .

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

My engine and gearbox came out just like that, with the car flat on the floor
Last edited by gc0700 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Tim

How much did you have to remove before lifting/replacing?

When Russ and Andrew skilfully an quickly lifted my engine without gearbox out of my car in my garage, I had already removed:
*. The curved structural brace in front of the engine
*. The radiator with electric fan
*. The steering linkage between the bulkhead and the steering rack

I had also unbolted the steering rack from its mounts and moved it out of the way.
The exhaust including the cross pipe were left in place.

I like the idea of replacing the engine/gearbox/overdrive in one piece, but have been advised against it.

I would be grateful for your comments.
Tim
Blue 1964 SP250 in Berkshire

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Oops, sorry.
I meant to address Paul and Tim
Tim

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

timmartin wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:15 pm
.........I like the idea of replacing the engine/gearbox/overdrive in one piece, but have been advised against it.

I would be grateful for your comments.
Re-fitting the engine without the gearbox attached is very straightforward - it drops straight in without tipping...
P1200028.JPG
P1200053.JPG
...then installing the gearbox/overdrive from inside the car is pretty straightforward too, rotating the box as you engage it to allow the clutch operating lever to clear the floor.
P1200119.JPG
Removing the drivers seat helps to give room but is not essential.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

The electric fan, rad, curved brace and steering column were removed first, but the engine was complete with carbs, distributor, etc'. No overdrive on my gearbox (unfortunately).
The cockpit were already stripped, so no carpets, seats, etc'.
I did however use an equaliser bar and it would been a struggle to manage without it.
It took two of us to get it out and three to put it back in, taking much care over the new paintwork.
Tim

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

This photo shows the engine and gearbox together with the new overdrive being put back in the car. When I removed the engine and gearbox initially it was a question of lifting and pushing the car back a bit at a time to clear the engine compartment. I managed to do this both taking out and replacing without any help, you just have to take your time.
Paul

timmartin

Post by timmartin »

Thank you Nick, Tim and Paul. Sorry about taking so long to reply; under great family pressure to move house, and no-one seems to want to buy our present one until some jobs have been done...

When refitting the engine/gearbox/overdrive/clutch combined, I suspect that the obstruction that may trouble me is the exhaust cross pipe which is still in place.

If replacing the gearbox/overdrive/clutch first, then there is the issue of mating the heavy, swinging engine with it without doing any damage, as well of course of supporting the weight of the front of the gearbox safely.

Replacing the engine first looks to me a well tried and simple approach, remembering to support the weight of the back of the engine safely, except for handling the weight of the gearbox/overdrive/clutch at awkward angles inside the car.

My son and I found removing the gearbox/overdrive/clutch out through the empty engine compartment very quick, easy, safe, kind to our backs.
Tim