Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

rear hub removal,,,half shaft threads damaged

guitarman1951

rear hub removal,,,half shaft threads damaged

Post by guitarman1951 »

On going restoration of my 250 v8, offside done last year sills door skins and splined hubs.. this year near side,sills floor pan door skins and now the splined hubs. I had a lot of trouble with the rear off side hub,,just did not want to come off.. Finally had a removal tool made, and got it off..The nipple of the tool goes into the dimple of the half shaft see pic3
20200813_214226.jpg
. I should have put the castellated nut on backwards but didn't.. the end of the half shaft has spread ,,like a mushroom,,The hub stiil refuses to come off. So my QUESTION, would a thread file sort the half shaft threads see pic 2
20200813_214239.jpg
,,and How do I use a one..and what thread?.. If not How does the half shaft come out
20200813_214254.jpg
..Any help appreciated
PS,,can anyone tell me what size and thread die I would need.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: rear hub removal,,,half shaft threads damaged

Post by daimlersteve »

A little heat and a rattle gun ( Impact wrench )
Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

7/8 nf ( pretty sure , have a very similar puller to the one youve had made -- in my case 4 stud for the std. SP, also made a pair of l/h and r/h for the factory wire hubs . Steve

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Thanks Steve,,impact wrench is a good idea, never thought of that,,as I dont have one,,,but it will be worth getting one to remove this stubborn hub.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Should be able to hire one . I loaned one of my wire wheel version to a local Brake guy to remove a rear hub . Told him to use two 1.5 mtr pipes to get some leverage . When i picked it up he showed me his Makita 3/4" drive Impact wrench . 1000 Lb impact said he with glee . came off no prob he said .
Steve

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

You should always leave the nut on but loosened to prevent the hub flying off and causing injury.

The thread on the bolt you are using is too coarse for you to achieve a great deal of pressure but it may work with an impact driver.

When you have the bolt tightened up as much as you can keep turning the hub and strike its outside with sharp blows from a medium hammer. Always go round the outside but do not use a heavy hammer as you will only damage the bearings.

Do not hit the end of the bolt as you will achieve nothing and cause more damage to bearings.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I used a similar puller which I tightened up with a short piece of scaffold pipe on the fixed socket bar, never do it on a ratchet it will break your ratchet as I know to my cost, then I heated the drum with a gas blow torch, tightened the bolt again and left it over night, next morning the beast had come off. Worked on both sides, hope that works for you. Syd