Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Sp250 rack & pinion steering

Dig-SP

Sp250 rack & pinion steering

Post by Dig-SP »

I'm looking at changing finally to rack and pinion, may then need to join a gym to make up for the lack of arm exercise !
Tried to search the old forum to see if there is any updated info but it seams to be locked out.
Has anyone knowledge of using components other than triumph 2500 which now are getting harder to find here in Aus
EG Mazda MX 5 , we have plenty of them here,
Any info appreciated,
Pic attached of the old gal at the Australian GP 2016 Historic Demo Race
Cheers
Dig
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dragon

Re: Sp250 rack & pinion steering

Post by Dragon »

Hi Digby,
Great to see your SP.
The favourite R&P rack is not from the Triumph 2500 in fact, as the track on that car is wider than on an SP, so the track rods would have to be shortened. The racks that drop right in are from Triumph TR4, Spitfire and Herald, with faster ratio, and from GT6 and Vitesse, with slower ratio. Can you obtain any of these?
I will send you the R&P conversion pack, which will give you all the fitting and other details.
Best wishes,
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Diggers ,old man , how goes it ?
call Vanguard Triumph Wholesalers Pty Ltd. at 03 97351446 ( local to you in Lilydale) for a tr6 unit and bits. I bought several sets of tr6 top arms from them several years ago. If they're still going they should be able to sort you out.
just as an aside -- i had a call from the new guardian of Rodgers old car a couple of months ago.
If i recall correctly he was converting it to rack . on the other hand it may have been for his other long term SP project, not sure .
Call me for info on the other bits to make life easier on the installation.

Steve.

Ps 150 hp at the wheels on the std. Sus and we're back on the dyno with the side draughts in a week or so. Have been getting the SU needles whittled down to give a consistant a/f ratio. All great fun !!!

webrest

Post by webrest »

It's a wonder Dig hasn't worn those AGP pit images out, he has touted them to anybody who will look at them.
I believe he carries around copies to hand out to people in the street.

Dig-SP

Post by Dig-SP »

Plenty more if you want Mr Webber !