Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Flexolite spin on filter conversion

V8 Junkie

Flexolite spin on filter conversion

Post by V8 Junkie »

I am in the process or converting to the Flexolite spin on filter system on my A Spec SP with the original steering box and I am having difficulty removing the Filter bowl from the car. My last SP had the R&P conversion and I did not have the problem doing oil and filter changes I am having now :x any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Ursa major

Re: Flexolite spin on filter conversion

Post by Ursa major »

I relocated mine to the inner wing, using a kit supplied by Flexolite. The only issue I had with it was a leak after fitting and, after laying a military style smokescreen down the motorway, I found that there was some flashing on the outlet from the filter head they supplied which meant that the connection didn't seal. A bit of PTFE tape and no problems since. Oil changes are much easier!

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I had Margaret's done some years ago. When I had the engine rebuilt I found the fibreglass was badly cracked and reinforced the inner wing with metal plates either side to ensure the forces when changing the filter did not pull the filter away. The car is an A spec so the original fibreglass is a bit dodgy in places.
Regards

Colin

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The A spec body is considerably thinner than the B or C spec, the A spec in road trim weighs just over 18 cwt and a C spec just over 23 cwt, there is no way this is accounted for in the extra metalwork added by Jaguar to stiffen the chassis. Rather than use metal plates on the inner wing which isn't flat I suggest building up the inner wing from under the wing with 2 more layers of matt and taper away from the actual filter mounting.
With the mileage of most SP's these days is it really worth fitting a remote filter which is probably only a once a year job, never had that much problem changing the element when I ran an SP as one of my everyday cars, but there again doing it three to four times a year you did tend to get the hang of it and it wasn't a problem, jack up the front remove the inspection plate, fit the socket to an extension bar to clear the chassis the unscrew with a ratchet, ok you need to start it by hand when replacing but the bowl should be nice and clean when refitting but don't add too much oil to the filter before refitting.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

The reason I fitted a remote filter head was the spillage of oil everywhere when removing the original filter bowl due to having to tilt it on its side to get it out.

After I fitted an alternator and didn't need the voltage regulator I fitted the remote head/filter unit in place of the regulator instead of on the side panel; it's very easy to change the filter there. It also facilitates the oil hoses onward route to the oil cooler in front of the radiator.

Cheers

Fossil