Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Dart - Engine Oil quantity

PeterH

SP250 Dart - Engine Oil quantity

Post by PeterH »

I know that this subject has been discussed before; however I am still unclear.

I have recently bought an SP250 Dart "C" 1964 and have just drained the oil and replaced the oil filter.
My question is what should the oil level be on the dipstick?

The “Owners Handbook” says that the Engine Sump should take 12 imp pts (6.82 ltrs).
I have put in 1.5 gallons of oil and I am nowhere near the line on the dipstick. My guess is that the dipstick is not original.

The line on my dipstick is 7.5 ins (19 cm) below the stop, whereas the oil level is more than 1.5 ins (4 cm) below.
The dipstick tube is 6 ins (15 cm) from the engine block to the top.
Please could anyone with an original dipstick tell me how far below the top of the dipstick tube the High and Low lines should be.

I am even more confused because I understand that there were different sizes of sump. However, both the “Dart” owners handbook and the “Saloon” service manual show the sump capacity as being 12 imp pts (6.8 ltrs).

Any help would be much appreciated . . . Peter

John-B
Site Admin

Re: SP250 Dart - Engine Oil quantity

Post by John-B »

My Dart has a dipstick length from collar to line of 7.5" or 190mm like your's and a tube length from top to where it meets the sump of 6.5" or 160mm. That gives 1" depth to oil below the tube bottom.

My Dart was restored with a Saloon block but I'm fairly sure everything else including the sump panel was for a Dart. Whatever sump capacity I have, I reckon that if oil shows at about the right oil level, it's OK.

It looks as if you need to add a little more oil. To be safe, if your level is 1.5" below the line, don't fill above the line. Did you measure it hot? That will give a low oil level. Leave the oil to settle for several hours.

V8 Junkie

Re: SP250 Dart - Engine Oil quantity

Post by V8 Junkie »

On my A spec SP the measurement from top of block to the top of dipstick tube is 5 inches and 7.5 inches from the dipstick collar to oil level line. I have just carried out a Flexolite spin on filter modification and measured 12 pints of oil in plus filling the new spin on Filter and it came up to a good inch above the level line :o so drained some out to bring to the required level
A while ago I replaced the intake manifold gasket and was amazed at how much oil the camshaft valley holds ;) I think it is very important to leave checking the level at least overnight because of the above