Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Tow/winching point 2.5 V8 saloon

Alpine Daimler

Tow/winching point 2.5 V8 saloon

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Hello everyone,

My saloon will be transported to our new home the other end of Germany soon and needs most likely to be winched onto the trailer if I am not present to drive it on myself or if I am present it does not start, fails to proceed etc etc! I prefer the winching option anyway as I think/hope I will have a little more control over the loading process.

My question is where is the most suitable point to attach the winching hook, cable , sling, whatever to the car? I think the answer is to remove the registration plate to prevent fouling and use the rather substantial cross member beneath the engine, or does someone out there have a better or the correct answer?

If it were to be loaded in reverse I suppose the best point to secure a sling would be one of the rear spring hanger mounts but I suspect the driver will want the principal weight (engine) up forward.

Thanks

Regards

Rob C.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Tow/winching point 2.5 V8 saloon

Post by tjt77 »

the common place to hook the front of the car up is via both sides through the lower front suspension 'wishbone's' close to the crossmember pivot point.. most towing trucks have hooks they can slip in there.. I use chains and secure them with a removable 'turnbuckle' link as used by the yachting fraternity..... people who move cars know what to do.. no need to worry if you are using a professional..

Alpine Daimler

Re: Tow/winching point 2.5 V8 saloon

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Thanks very much for the tip, that is an even better idea.
Trailer arrived but winch was not operating so had to drive it on, in spite of not running for several weeks fired up immediately and conquered the steep incline onto the trailer with aplomb!!
All the best from a corona quarantine in new home town of Stade(well, close by) , and that right in the middle of a house move!!! Rob C playing a blinder as always!
Rob C