Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

dynamo cover

pflanaga

dynamo cover

Post by pflanaga »

I gather this is a long shot but does anyone have the dimensions of the aluminum dynamo cover. I have one but it has a couple missing areas. I thought if I had the layout of it I can take it to a metal shop to have it fabricated.

Paul

peterbee

Re: dynamo cover

Post by peterbee »

This is a tracing of the cover which is true to size at A4. It is difficult to dimension properly as nothing is parallel and there are no right angle corners. The dimensions are in inches. The Daimler is an imperial car. You might want to make up a card template before committing yourself to metal. You will have to decide where to position the Daimler badge as the centre of the cover will be determined by the length of your fanbelt. The cover is set to a curve of diameter of 5 inches.
Attachments
Cover.pdf
(135.73 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

pflanaga

Post by pflanaga »

thanks Peter

Paul

Post by #100910 »

Another option, to weigh against fabrication costs:
Dynamo Cover.PNG

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I may have a spare cover I would be willing to sell, I will need to investigate my spare-spares, from memory neither of the two I think I may have, have got have the Daimler badge.

Your profile does not say where you are or if your are in the UK. If you are, you will know Wales will be in lockdown from Friday so It might take a while to get it to you, but if you are interested, send me a personal email and I will respond, in the meantime I will check out my stock. Syd

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Managed to find the covers I have and it turned out there were five there, all fabricated from stainless steel, though I must have known, it has been many years since I looked at them.

One is made out of very thick stainless steel and not finished, no real use, another is an abandoned version perhaps a trial run and the other three are more or less finished items.

I have been having an exchange with Paul who lives in Canada regarding this topic. Syd

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

It's just a bent bit of alloy and can be manufactured by anyone, there are two bent bits at right angles to attach to the dynamo mounting bolts front and rear, the difficult bit is the chromed cast Daimler badge, but I can't see that costing anywhere near £84, taking a sand mould from an original and casting in brasa, getting it chromed would be easily done and very near original size by most welder blacksmiths.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I guess for those of us used to, enjoy doing so and willing to have a go with metal fabrication it is as you say a relatively easy item to reproduce Ian.

With modern metal working equipment a reasonably simple thing for a metal fabricator to manufacturer, but by the same token not something that is under any stress so it does not wear out or become damaged easily so demand is going to be very low indeed and it will need to be made individually thus increasing the production cost.

This is the first request for one I have seen on this or the old forum.

I would not like to set up production and sell them for much less that Manners are charging. £84 sounds a lot put in basic material cost terms but given the very low demand I think it is fair in this day and age.

BTW neither these or the Manners ones have the Daimler badge, in this case Paul has the badge it is the cover that is scrap and I guess that may well be the case with most replacements. Syd

Mike0Ryan

Post by Mike0Ryan »

This topic caught my eye because acquiring a Daimler badged dynamo cover has been on my to-do list for some time now (albeit near the bottom). With luck it would head off the most often asked question that I get: "What engine did you put in there?". So I am definitely interested!

For what it is worth, it appears to me that David Manners has two versions of the dynamo cover. There is one without the Daimler badge for £60 (136183C-B) and one with the badge for £84 (136183C). Both are supposedly in stock, although my confidence in the website is shaky.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Lets say VAT £11 profit £10 material £3 overheads £3 at £60 retail that leaves £33 for labour, with the right machines cut bend finish and polish, I would say 3 hours so not a lot for the effort commercially. Syd