Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

2.5 V8 saloon 1964

pertonjohn

2.5 V8 saloon 1964

Post by pertonjohn »

I am restoring a car that someone else had started (never a good idea!). I have 3 wires (2 black, 1 white) in a loom adjacent to the flasher unit in the centre and at the back of the instrument panel. Has anyone any idea what they might be for. I cannot fathom it out from the wiring diagram. Thanks, John

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: 2.5 V8 saloon 1964

Post by Christopher Storey »

The black wires should be ( and almost certainly are ) wires which should be used as earths. I suggest you use a continuity tester to see if they are already to earth at the other end (it doesn't matter where that is ) . If they are earthed at the other end,then they are likely to be intended to earth either instruments or the back of the instrument panel . The white wire should be an unfused wire which is energised only when the ignition is turned on, and it could be for the ignition swtich or the starter push, or, less likely because of the position, the ignition warning light or the brake fluid light . I suggest you find a white wire which supplies fuse 2, disconnect it there and see if it is the other end of your white wire, in which case it will almost certainly be destined either for the switch or the push button

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

Here are a couple of photos of the instrument panel wiring from my 63 car. Not sure how original it's is, but if you can see the wires you're talking about, and want to know where they go on the panel, then give me a shout.
Attachments
IMG_20160119_102243.jpg
IMG_20160119_102236.jpg

daimlerfan

Post by daimlerfan »

Hi,
I recently refurbished my dash switches and wiring and took a series of pics to help.
I think these show all the black wires and there termination points.
The only one that is not clear is the black wire from the cigar lighter which is connected to the lighting switch earth via a spade connector (see arrowed pic).
I have many more pics if you want a particular section ask and I will try and find a suitable one.

John
Attachments
IMG_5082.jpg
IMG_5042.jpg
IMG_5009.jpg
1969 Daimler V8 250

pertonjohn

Post by pertonjohn »

Thanks for your comments but so far I have not resolved the problem. Have added a pic showing the wires in relation to the indicator flasher unit.

pertonjohn

Post by pertonjohn »

image.jpeg

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

The white should be an ignition (unused) supply, direct from, or to the ignition switch.
Black is always earth.
Has someone changed the ignition circuit to the coil, perhaps put a cut out switch in circuit somewhere?
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi All, are these wires to do with the little light below the top dash area? although my wires have 2 black and 1 purple with green stripe. all the best Tony

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

Is it not the map light wiring?
14624045829151851519933.jpg
Obviously mine needs help
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

johnwager

Post by johnwager »

Hi John
Just looked under the dash on my car and the map light has a white wire and two blacks, so that is almost certainly what you have there especially as they are in the right position.
John