Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dart ignition timing

David S

Dart ignition timing

Post by David S »

Well, I know the that on Pages E47-48 in the SP250 Service Manual it tells us to set the ignition timing at 10 degrees btdc static.

Yes ...... that's Static ... and you can't set it static with electronic ignition.

As soon as the engine is running the balance weights and vaccum unit change the settings. It seems to go better when I set it more than 10 degrees advanced. So I'm wondering what the perceived wisdom is re: setting the ignition timing with a strobe light?

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Dart ignition timing

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

David S wrote:.... the SP250 Service Manual tells us to set the ignition timing at 10 degrees btdc static.

Yes ...... that's Static ... and you can't set it static with electronic ignition.
Unless you have Pertronix electronic ignition, this reply won't help you David - but I'm sure that someone else's will.

This is just to say that if you do have the Pertronix system, one of its advantages is that the timing can be set statically in the same way as points ignition.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

You set the ignition statically, fire up the engine and set the rpm ( I used 500) mark where the crankshaft timing mark lines up against the timing case using a strobe light. Shut down the engine fit the electronic ignition and time to that mark. it makes little difference whether the vacuum is connected or not or where the balance weights are, providing the case is the same with points and the electronic set up. You may need to check the rpm whilst timing with the strobe as the rpm may change as the timing is adjusted.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

russcarpenter

Post by russcarpenter »

David, there is a simple way to set the static timing using a strobe light, you will need a strobe that is powered from the vehicle battery.
set your marker on the pulley to the 10 degree setting on compression stroke, plug the strobe sensor onto number 1 lead, pull the light trigger and hold, with the dist' slackened back the dist' back a little and then advance it until you see the strobe flash. hey presto

Bud

Post by Bud »

Great TIP Russ !

David S

Post by David S »

Thanks everyone, it's running smoother now!
David