Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wire wheel conversion

OttawaSP250

Wire wheel conversion

Post by OttawaSP250 »

I am a new owner of an Sp 250 The previous owner installed a wire wheel conversion and it uses the existing 4 wheel studs to attach to the hub/rotor .

It appears that the lug nuts contact the inside of the wheel, outside the splines .
has anyone done this type of install? do i need to shorten the wheel studs or use a different nut than stock ?

previous owner used a grinder to lessen the contact, but i think theres a better way

hum966

Re: Wire wheel conversion

Post by hum966 »

Morning OttawaSP250

Noticed your post about fasteners for the wire wheel adapter.
I have attached piccs of the front and rear wheel adapter/hubs from my SP.
Also pic of the parts catalogue for optional extras, which shows the parts for rear as
431511 bolt secures brake disc to hub. David Manners website has this item listed but is out of stock, it shows the size on the website as 3/8 UNF x 1 3/8 “ long.
The front hub is a nut and bolt fastener which Manners website doesn’t list.
But piccs may help you work out what is needed.

Rgds Brian.
Attachments
RearHub.JPG
PartsCat.JPG
FrontHub.JPG

faeton

Post by faeton »

Hello have you got the wire wheel hubs as shown in the illustration or the Bolt on adaptors , these are usually a triumph fitting with holes enlarged that fit on to the old standard wheel hubs, with this adaptor you have to use 1/2 nuts basically cut the wheel nuts in half and the studs shortened accordingly ,there is a lot of previous discussions on the the use of these bolt ons . I never had a problem .

OttawaSP250

Post by OttawaSP250 »

Thank you for the reply , my Front hubs look like yours but the rears are a bolt on adapter that uses the 4 lug nuts to attach. Ill try to get a picture .

What concerns me is that the previous owner ground down the bolts and studs to clear the back side of the wire wheel . I am curious if others have used the bolt on adapter.

OttawaSP250

Post by OttawaSP250 »

faeton wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:27 pm Hello have you got the wire wheel hubs as shown in the illustration or the Bolt on adaptors , these are usually a triumph fitting with holes enlarged that fit on to the old standard wheel hubs, with this adaptor you have to use 1/2 nuts basically cut the wheel nuts in half and the studs shortened accordingly ,there is a lot of previous discussions on the the use of these bolt ons . I never had a problem .

Thank you Faeton ! that's the answer I was looking for !!

faeton

Post by faeton »

Further to the topic , I was concerned that the half nut would not Have enough thread , but if you remove a stud from the hub it is shorter than the length of half nut , {LessThread } you will notice that the end of the studs have been centre punched. {locked} After 20yrs I must admit that I Have now fitted ww hubs ,not because of the safety aspect ,I prefer the fact that the wheels are within the arches .

Dave